Pirate 4x4 banner

Got pulled over for loud pipes...now what?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  NE-RokToy 
#1 ·
OK i had not planed on running glass packs and fender well headers on my jeep....it was cheap so i went with them.

Well sat i got pulled over for racing (just got the dana 60 in her…I won too!) i was going 5 over. me and the cop talked awhile about my jeep and he said he liked it but the pipes have to go.

so i am looking for a set of CJ manifolds for my jeep mean while i am looking into the best way to rout the exhuast. i have the little 15 gal tank, also TF727 so you know there is no room on the pass side to run a pipe. well i have never seen some out run dual this way so my question is now what? do i just go under the oil pan and out the back? dual exahust is not a priority, single is fine this is an offroad motor so torque is more inportant. now what is the best way to get this? i also want it to quite down a bit, still mean sounding though

pics would help to show the guys at the mufler shop.

Chris G.
(i did search but did not find info on getting past the 727)

#2 ·
I just bought some headman hedders and I run cherry bomb packs with a SBC. I like the way it sounds and I live in Hickville USA and I dont think to many of the cops would care if you ran open headers.

I did notice on the headmen's page that the fenderwell exit headers are not legal for road use.

My advice...Try some turbo flow.s and use yur head to hide it...I love them headers

#9 ·
run the crossover pipe inbetween the back of the oil pan and the inspection cover of the trans, not to close as it will add heat to the oil. run the pipe down the side with less stuff in the way(probably drivers side, no driveline). just a cheapy turbo muffler will sound good enough and there quiet enough.:beer:

#11 ·
point at the next Fawkin HARLEY that rolls by...

I HATE LOATHE DESPISE PIGS I mean :fj: that poke at CARS when fawkin harleys are 900% louder than 99.9% of street cars! They can run straight pipes on the streets so can my 300 hp SBC! This is a real touchy subject w/ me if you couldnt tell but I say what about every harley owner on the road???

#13 ·
thanks for all the ideas!

i am going to get a set of manifolds and bend the pipe under the between the oil pan and the tranny....well that sounds like it is going to make it hard to change the starter or mess with the tranny...i guess i could have the shop make that peice a bolt on....hummmm

Chris G.

#14 ·
Chrisjeep7 said:
thanks for all the ideas!

i am going to get a set of manifolds and bend the pipe under the between the oil pan and the tranny....well that sounds like it is going to make it hard to change the starter or mess with the tranny...i guess i could have the shop make that peice a bolt on....hummmm

Chris G.
If you don't have one, you might want to add an external tranny cooler while you're there. Routing exhaust that close is gonna cause the fluid to hold more heat and that'll kill the 727 fast.

Might as well add an external oil cooler as well. Couldn't hurt anything...

#15 ·
i have a huge tranny cooler...so that is not a problem. who makes a fairly cheap oil cooler...or should i just look at my summit catalog for one. alos does that pipe wrap help with heat or is it a wast of time?

Chris G.

#19 ·
FULLSIZE said:
run the crossover pipe inbetween the back of the oil pan and the inspection cover of the trans, not to close as it will add heat to the oil. run the pipe down the side with less stuff in the way(probably drivers side, no driveline). just a cheapy turbo muffler will sound good enough and there quiet enough.:beer:
This is how I am running my exhaust, still working on it though. One pipe comes off the passanger side header and down behind the oil pan and the other pipe just comes straight down and back on the driver side. Both peices will have 3 bolt flanges that attach them to my Y-pipe going into a 3" hooker muffler, which is quiter then a 3 chamber flow so I think it should work nice :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.