Pirate 4x4 banner

custom XJ suspension dilema

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  xj4rocks 
#1 ·
I am currently building a custom suspension for my XJ and swapping in axles from a 77 Ford F150. The suspension is a modified version of the factory setup with the control arm mounts moved down 3" and back 4". I opted for the 4 link setup because it was my understanding that as long as all 4 arms were parallel and of equal length there wouldn't be any bind. This only proves to be partly true.

I was getting 28" of useable travel on the drivers side and 26" on the passenger side. Problem was, I was having major clearance issues with the tires at full lock ( and the small amount of bind on the pass side). Well, with a little brainstorming I figured out how to make a 42" long trackbar and drag link. Stock ones are just over 31".

This solved the clearance issues and made the tie rod angle 12 degrees but the passenger side travel dropped to about 18". It turns out that unless the track bar attachment point on the axle is even with the control arm attachment point it will cause major binding. My new point was almost at the knuckle. So I did some more thinking and came up with a few options.

Option 1. Leave it like it is: Loss of a lot of travel and it's gonna look real funny with the pass tire at full stuff being 6" below the top of the fender opening.

Option 2. Go back to the short 31" trackbar: Will have to watch how far I turn the tires when its getting close to stuffed and tie rod angle will be greatly increased.

Option 3. Put a 2" slip joint in the drivers side upper control arm and make it pinable for street use: The passenger side UCA will be taking 90% of the load when the drivers side droops.

Option 4. Make a long arm setup: Pinion angle will no longer be a constant and it will bind if I try to push it to 28" of travel per wheel. Will have to put in a slip joint in one of the upper Y's.

Option 5. Go to a 3 link with upper V. Will lose goal of absolutely zero bumpsteer and will probably run into clearance issues again.

Option6. Your idea here: Faults?.

I am leaning twords option 3 but I am a little worried about only 1 UCA taking most of the load. The plan is for 9" of lift and 37" tires.

Sorry it's so long and thank you for any replies.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think regardless if you keep the tracbar you're going to end up with less flex on the pass. side.

With the radius arms or 'Y' type long arm kit if you used rubber bushings they ought to be able to absorb any fore/aft movement between the mounts that the axle when twisted will want to make.

The 3 link with a 'A' arm would most likely put the 'A' on the lowe side but this could be designed in a way to potentially get rid of the tracbar all together. May not be much fun on the street though.

:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.