Pirate 4x4 banner

ZJ and 37"s : how to?

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  CannonBall 
#1 ·
Ive posted this question on JU and others, but I need more input. Ive got a Grand 5.9L that Ill be able to modify shortly. The ultimate goal is to get 37" tires under it. Ive played around with the ideas of the rockkrawler lift, the hybrid lifts, long arms, and now coilovers. I think coilovers would be the most desirable way to go. Ive got ideas of how to mount the coilovers in the engine bay and rear cargo, thanks to Travis' bluz zj. Id probably do Clayton's long arm kit, swap a 231 t case w/ SYE in, and swap in 44/60 axles w/4.88 gears. Let me know what you guys think.

Ryan

#3 ·
Ryan,
you could fit 37s under there with about seven inches and alot of trimming. I swapped in clayton's arms/subframe with about 7" of lift and went with 9" HP axles front and rear. I run 33s with no trimming. (My next project is steering cause it gets all bound up. I really feel stupid for letting them talk me into putting the stock knuckles on the 9" axle :rolleyes: .) After the steering I plan on major trimming and some tube fenders in prep for a cage (still can't decide if I will go exo or try to squeeze a full cage inside.) I think I can easily clear enough room to stuff 35s maybe even 36s. I have also thought a lot about coilovers the rear seems pretty straight forward (probably even tie the mount into an interior cage) I am interested in how you plan to mount the front. There isn't much room under the hood. Where do you plan on relocating everything to clear the towers?? I don't think I would use the 231 case either. that 360 with 37" tires can't be good for it. If your gonna go that big in a ZJ go atlas.

If you do it send some photo's I would like to see the front coilover mounts.

Anyway my 2 cents
Jeff

#7 ·
The only arguement for retaining the stock knuckles would be to retain the stock bolt pattern. To save a few benji's on the cost of buying new wheels just doesn't make alot of sense. Shame on whomever spec'd out that build up.

37s will fit easily under my ZJ. I built it for 38.5s (real 38s), but I ran out of money and went with 36" TSLs for this year. Coilovers would be nice for the cool factor, but totally unnecessary for sick flex.

#11 · (Edited)
cbassett - Do you have any cracks or stress areas on the unibody from those large tires? I have another friend who is running 35" swampers on his XJ with D60's and he says there are cracks in the frame. How do you combat this?

Do you all have any more pics of this ZJ with coil overs?

A friend of mine is putting coilovers on his ZJ. He has a 4.0 engine though, that should allow more room under the hood. I've seen as large as 38's on a ZJ, but I wonder how things hold up with that tire size.

#13 ·
CaptainFleXJ151 said:
cbassett - Do you have any cracks or stress areas on the unibody from those large tires? I have another friend who is running 35" swampers on his XJ with D60's and he says there are cracks in the frame. How do you combat this?
My uniframe started cracking at the bottom corners of the rear hatch, back when I was on 32s. It's not the size of the tire that causes the problem; the uniframe can't handle a great deal of abuse that rockcrawling and constant twisting up the rig causes.
I've ripped control arm brackets off the frame as well, and my entire right side "frame rail" was mangled and practically flattened. My rear hatch still sits up high on one side. All the doors still open/close/sit perfectly however. I think the ZJ uniframe construction comes up short with lateral integrity. I'm adding a couple more lateral supports when I get around to moving my shock mounts inboard over the diff. The ZJ is already much, much more solid than before the longarm conversion, a couple more lateral supports should be good.
In building the longarm suspension, the important thing to do was to build a subframe that would withstand these forces, and keep the rig together for years to come.

Swamper502 is right, in a jackass kind of way. :flipoff2:
The ZJ isn't a good platform to start from for a rockcrawling rig; you're guaranteeing yourself ALOT of work and fabrication.

#14 · (Edited)
Ruckus,

I made custom longarm a HP 44 (although I didn't out like Chris and put ford radius arms on my subframe. :flipoff2:), I'm doing a custom steering solution (raised and crossover) and I'm in Boulder.

That will be sick on a 5.9.

Oh yeah, I'm going to pull´n´save this weekend, to pick up an air ride compressor (hopefully!) for the ARB's - you should ride along and check out the best yard in Colorado.

Bob

#17 ·
Trango said:
I made custom longarms, I'm building a HP 44 (although I didn't puss out like Chris and put ford radius arms on my subframe. :flipoff2:), I'm doing a custom steering solution (raised and crossover) and I'm in Boulder.
Why you cliche'-usin ("custom") smack-talkin sumanavich! :flipoff2:
My extended radius arms flex just fine thank you! Hi steering will come as soon as I fine the money and don't have any more important mods to do. The Chebby tie rod I'm running is a solid beast, sleaved to boot, and the J-20 flat tops' std tie rod location actually put the rod up a bit more in the front anyway, so I'm not too worried about it. http://home.attbi.com/~bassettsbeast/images/rc44_1.jpg

#18 ·
I dont know...how much are they new? I emailed you back. What long arms are you doing? I dont think i like the radius arms that much, ill prob do some sort of regular long arms.

I guess Ill just have to actually start the project to figure out where i want to go, and figure out how much money ill have to spend

ryan

#20 ·
I've been seriously looking into triangulated 4 link with 1/4 e on my ZJ. Looks like I'll have a cage and long arms this summer so I'll just run it with coils for now but eventually, when I get tired of having my coils fall out due to such massive flex I'd like to go something like 1/4e or CO's that won't "fall out" 1/4e just seems easier if you can find a way to mount it on the ZJ. As for the front the nice long posts keep the coils in so I think I'll stick with that for a while. Hopeing once I get the Long Arm and cage I'll have money left over for some front axle upgrade then some used 36's, shit I'm gettin in over my head, I'll stick to just the cage and LA as the plan for this summer.
-Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.