Pirate 4x4 banner

231 in a WJ?

819 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rockedtj 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has swapped a 231 into a WJ. I am looking at buying a used Laredo 4.0l that has a leaky T-case, and I have a 231 gathering dust!

#2 ·
As long as the 231 is a 21 spline unit, I don't see why it would not work. WJ's come with the 242 which is very similar. THe mounts should line up, but you may have to modify the shifter. As for the interior plaque with the shift pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if they are available in foriegn WJ's.

#3 ·
Wouldn't it just be easier to re-seal the t-case that is in there? If it has a 242 case, there was a TSB for changing the shifter selector shaft, and updating the seal. About a 2 hour job. If it has any other case, check to make sure the small rubber plug above the seloctor shaft is installed. This will be about a 3/16 inch plug.

The spline count is 23.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help. The problem is the Jeep is a 99 with 160,000 miles. I am guessing the t-case has been driven dry a few times, and it will probably need to be rebuilt. I will check with a dealer first though and see if the TSBs have been done. Swapping the trasfer case was just an idea if fixing the old case starts to get expensive! Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.