Pirate 4x4 banner

Lil Boring n here so...SOA Q's,CV shaft ?

996 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jakesteramalamajama 
#1 ·
:flipoff2:
Here goes
1989 wrangler ....stock axles (stock everything)
I am thinking of running the JC w CJ 7 hd springs.
1.Will the stock steering work with a pitman arm w/out z drag link ?
2.Or can I go over the spring with the drag link if and build new hd with heim joints ?
3.Do the CJ springs provide any lift ?
4.If a CV driveshaft doesnt allow as much angle why use it ?( I have run both in a very tall CJ and couldnt tell a difference until I tore up the CV and had to fix it $ )
5.will these springs allow me to ditch both track bars ? ( cant think of a reason why not , but........ ) ?

#2 ·
1. It'll be close, couldnt tell ya till its put together
2. If you do it right, but why bother on a D30, make an s'd drag link
3. I think so....but I am not a CJ guy ;)
4. U-joint wear and tear. The ujoints last a TON longer in a CV, and you wont get vibration nearly as easily.
5. whats a trac bar?

#3 ·
1.I can tell myself at that point.
2.Becouse my Jeep platinum card expired ,and I gotta start somewhere.
3.I think so to......
4.This has not been my experience , anybody else ?
5.My feelings exactly

Ok peoples........anybody running the JCW HD CJ springs SOA on a wrangler ?( any lift from springs ?,stiff enough to lose track bar ?)
Anybody running a non CV shaft at a steep angle ? ( do you have vibrations ? problems ?)
Will the steering work ?

#4 ·
Mr.RatBastard said:
Here goes
1989 wrangler ....stock axles (stock everything)
I am thinking of running the JC w CJ 7 hd springs.
4.If a CV driveshaft doesnt allow as much angle why use it ?( I have run both in a very tall CJ and couldnt tell a difference until I tore up the CV and had to fix it $ )
Even though the u-joints in a CV will tolerate slightly less total angle INDIVIDUALLY compared to a standard U-joint on yokes, the angle will be DIVIDED BETWEEN the two joints in the CV.

Also, allowing you to poin't your diff up, higher allows less total angle.

Think about it, if you have a constant 15 degree angle on each joint in a standard driveshaft, a C-V drive shaft will have constant 7.5 degrees on each joint in the C-V assembly and 0 degrees on the joint at the Differential. (actually, the joints in the C-V will have slightly less than 7.5 degrees because the pinion will be pointed up, lessening the total angle...)

Jake

A picture being worth a thousand words, here's a quick illustration I just whipped up:

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Jake.
I know that with standard u-joints at both ends you are supposed to run them at the same angle top and bottom,but back in the day before we knew any better we always pointed the pinion at the transfer case.On a CJ 5 with 11.5 inch's of suspension lift I ran a standard shaft pointed up w/no vibration and It lasted.It appears the top joint would be 7.5 degrees this way. Anybody have a vibration problem w/standard shaft and pinion pointed up ?

#7 ·
After I did my SOA front I found that I could not turn very well because the axle was too floppy. I added a track bar, and now I can turn. A properly designed track bar will not really affect your flex, and it will help you turn (at least it did for me). Just had to offer another viewpoint on this one, do I need a flame suit?

#8 ·
Mr.RatBastard said:
Thanks Jake.
I know that with standard u-joints at both ends you are supposed to run them at the same angle top and bottom,but back in the day before we knew any better we always pointed the pinion at the transfer case.On a CJ 5 with 11.5 inch's of suspension lift I ran a standard shaft pointed up w/no vibration and It lasted.It appears the top joint would be 7.5 degrees this way. Anybody have a vibration problem w/standard shaft and pinion pointed up ?

The constant-run angle of the top joint will be a little less (because of the pinion being pointed up) but the angle will still be way more than 7.5.

Since the lateral motion of two out-of-phase U-joints in a standard shaft will only completely cancel one another out each revolution when the angles are the same, this would lead to vibration.

You can fudge this a little by using a transfer case drop kit and some mild degree shims between your springs and axle-mounting surfaces, but if the constant-run difference between the two joints is greater than a couple of degrees while you're running down the highway, that sucker is gonna shake like a wayward whore on a Saturday night...

I did this once before I knew any better... I had 6-degree shims with a 1-inch TC drop and about 3 total inches of suspension lift, SUA. The rear U-joint was close to zero degrees and the front joint was bent the whole angle. It shook like a biatch.

HTH,
Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.