Pirate 4x4 banner

RE SOA Springs

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Cheg 
#1 ·
Someone told me that RE makes a SOA Spring, but didn't have any other info. Can anybody out there tell me more about there besides that there $125 each. Like ride, performance, flex,........

#2 ·
i personally don't know a thing about them but i run rear cj 7 leaf hd spring from jc whitney at all 4 corners with good luck. i have a cj but it has been talked about as a good swap for yj owners too. plus they are only $69 per spring new. i say run these and spend the $$$ you have left over on something else. just my op.

#3 · (Edited)
You are the second post in a row that I am reminding to use the SEARCH button and look this up!!:flipoff2: There was just a thread here on Pirate about this same thing. We even had a comparo of springs with pics and diagrams. Use the SEARCH and check it out!! :beer:

BTW ... :flipoff2: WELCOME to the Dark Side NEWBIE!! :flipoff2: :vader: :flipoff2:

#5 · (Edited)
Yes they do. I have them on my YJ. No complaints from me. I have 5 packs all around though. They are reverse eye. I dropped $600 for the springs only so that is the only thing I dislike about them. Other than that they flex great and the ride is smooth as can be for a Jeep. I will most likely go with them again when it is time to replace them. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :rasta:

Forgot to mention that they are 1.5" springs

#7 ·
Re: Mayhem

bigdude said:
Why 5 leaf packs in the back?

Did you try the 6 leaf packs and not like them?
The 6 leafs were a bit too stiff for me. I had nothing in the back of my YJ at the time I got the springs. So there was no weight on the springs. I have a full size spare (35" tire) in back now and it and it is still just right. I might go with the 6 pack if I had a tire carrier and some other gear in back.

#8 ·
The 6 leafs were a bit too stiff for me. I had nothing in the back of my YJ at the time I got the springs. So there was no weight on the springs. I have a full size spare (35" tire) in back now and it and it is still just right. I might go with the 6 pack if I had a tire carrier and some other gear in back.
Thanks for the info. I won't have squat out back except my air tank, fuel cell and big 14 bolt.

I was thinking that although they might be a little stiff for me it would help to avoid wrap. Any comments on this? Were they really that bad?

#9 ·
bigdude said:

Thanks for the info. I won't have squat out back except my air tank, fuel cell and big 14 bolt.

I was thinking that although they might be a little stiff for me it would help to avoid wrap. Any comments on this? Were they really that bad?
They were not that bad but I wanted it to be a little more softer. It flexed better with a softer spring since I had no weight in the rear. The fuel cell will add some more weight when full so the 6 pack may be good for you. It would help a little with axle wrap but they will break in eventually and start to wrap. You would want to go with some kind of wrap bar down the road. At least I would anyway. I am planning on going with a swing out carrier so I will get the 6 pack then. I hope that helps :rasta:

#10 ·
high5 said:
i personally don't know a thing about them but i run rear cj 7 leaf hd spring from jc whitney at all 4 corners with good luck. i have a cj but it has been talked about as a good swap for yj owners too. plus they are only $69 per spring new. i say run these and spend the $$$ you have left over on something else. just my op.
Do you run the flat over load spring on the HD's and how good do they flex?

#11 ·
1MutCJ7 said:

Do you run the flat over load spring on the HD's and how good do they flex?
they flex really well and i do run the overload leaf in the front but not the rear. i run a antiwrap bar in the rear so the overload leaf was not needed and i started out with out it in the front but after some wrap in the front i put it back in. like i said they do flex really well!

#15 ·
I just finished with a cj7 and the 6leaf hds and they work out great. My buddy likes them. I would recommend the anti-wrap bar as soon as the springs are on and settlrd for a month or so. The anti-wrap bar is necessary before any hard wheelin in my opinion. We wrapped the first pair in the rear on my tree ramp just throttling it.

#16 ·
wheelinjp said:
I just finished with a cj7 and the 6leaf hds and they work out great. My buddy likes them. I would recommend the anti-wrap bar as soon as the springs are on and settlrd for a month or so. The anti-wrap bar is necessary before any hard wheelin in my opinion. We wrapped the first pair in the rear on my tree ramp just throttling it.

yes an anti wrap bar is needed for just about any soa. you will need one for these springs. i would bet $$$ you would need them with the re springs too. any spring that is going to give any kind of flex will require one.

#18 ·
jmj85 said:
Ok, I know this is going to sound dumb, but I'm still learning. So the eye is reversed, What's so special about that?
First of all, protocol dictates a :flipoff2: and welcome!!

Secondly, the eye is reversed to help eliminate spring wrap in a SOA application. SUA springs are desinged to be used that way and wrap easily because of it. The eye being reversed helps to "disperse the load" when under power and the axle is trying to twist.

#19 ·
So the reverse eye is to help eliminate axle wrap except, by RE own words, it doesn't. You will still need a traction device to control wrap. Seems to me they charge a hole lot more $$ just because they are reverse eyed.

NOw, if the reverse eye helps the springs last longer , that would be worth it. Aything to keep me wheelin' and out of the garage on weekends:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.