Pirate 4x4 banner

360 problem

527 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mtndewmaniac 
#1 ·
I have a 360 in one of my cj's that has a bit of oil in the radiator and some water in the oil pan. my first thought was a blown head gasket, one reason being the white smoke on the driver side exhaust. I did a compression check and all 8 cylinders are matched at 135psi. with the compression being this good, is it still possible to have a blown head gasket? or is there something else I should be looking for? this may be a dumb question, but i've never been any good with engines so any info would help. thanks
-jeremy

#2 ·
I have seen several different ways you can have a blown head gasket. It just depends on where the failure occured. Without pulling the offending head off you won't know for sure, BUT you will hafta pull it anyway to fix or replace it. There are no two ways about it when the ol' ;)"oil/water mixture pump" kicks in. If you keep starting/running it, you will only make it worse. Depending on how many miles are on it you may want to pull the other head to freshen it up or at least to put in a new gasket. IMHO, (if the one head is good to refurb) I'd have them both stripped and tanked out, have the valves cleaned up, maybe freshen up the grind angles and put in new seals and seats. Do them both while its down and reap some benefits. :beer:

#3 ·
I see that your coolant lube pump is working o.k.:flipoff2:
No, seriously though, seeing that milky crap on your oil cap, and also seeing your coolant percolate brown usually does indicate a blown head gasket, or even a cracked block. ( I'm hoping for the earlier, not the latter) :D

I'll help ya on friday when I'm out that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.