Pirate 4x4 banner

Having drive shaft reworked

880 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Recurve 
#1 ·
Has anybody had anyluck with sending away a driveshaft and getting it reworked?

I have a cv driveshaft I pulled from the front of a 79 cherokee. the tube is pretty thin which I figure is a down fall but I need something to get me mid-way through the summer when I can afford a high angle driveline. How effective would it be to send this shaft out and get it shortened and balanced? Is there much they can do to add strength to a smaller tube? How much does this normally run?

I have a line on a good shaft from a friend of mine but Im not sure when he is going to swap in the 14 bolt and get rid of his shaft. Thing is I want to wheel NOW:D

ANy one speak from experience?

#3 · (Edited)
I have picked up 2 XJ front driveshafts. One was $10 and the other $15. I had each shortened from ~40" down to 19" for $50 each. The local driveshaft shop that did the work put it back together so that the existing weights worked. Ran one on the street for over 2 months no problems. Put the other on and wheeled moderately in it this past weekend with no problems. The tube thickness is .120. The only difference I can see is in the tube diameter on the diff end. A Woody uses a tube on the diff end that is the same diameter of the tube on the tc end.

Pic of Woody by Dan H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.