Pirate 4x4 banner

CJ fuel guage

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WheelingPiazza 
#1 ·
Ok, here goes,

i have an 82 cj7 and when i turn the jeep on both the fuel and gas guages go straight to full / hot respectively. i was wondering if anybody has had this happen to them or something similar. to me it sounds like the guage is grounding out, but where should i start to look.

thank-you
Brian

#5 ·
Well obviously as you said, you've got one of the sender wires shorting out to ground. Easiest way is to get a multimeter and pull the sender wires off the back of the gauges and one at the time measure the senderwire for continuity to ground. Once you know which one of the two wires is causing the trouble, trace it back to the sender and check for damage. If no damage can be found, it could be the sender itself. On the temp sender you can disconnect both sides and check for continuity to eliminate the wire itself. On the fuel gauge it is a bit more difficult as you can't reach the wire. If the fault appears to be in the fuel gauge wire chances are that the fuel sender has fallen to bits (the resistor wire had broken)which is what happened to me. In that case you will have to drop the tank to replace the sender.

Hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.