Pirate 4x4 banner

AA SYE install issues?????

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  CJ5-Man 
#1 ·
I'm running in circles now.
I put the 231 together bench test it and it seems to be binding a little. I can get it to shift into 4low but then the input and out put is completely bound up and won't turn.

I did a search but found other shifting issues where the tcase wouldn't go into 2wd.

Any idea what the hell is going on?
did I maybe put the syncro cluster in backwards?
I"m pretty sure I didn't put the ring in backwards.

I can get it to shift fine with out binding up at all with the back half of the case off. I also have cut off the excess shift rod that is some times required.

Problem only happens when the case is put together and the rear yoke is tightened down:(

#2 ·
I did not hafta shorten my shift rail. According to the instructions .5" is the most you'd ever hafta take off. Only 1" should protrude in 4lo. Make sure that is all that protrudes.

The housing that came with mine had a hole for the vacuum actuation on cherokee models. The hole is right behind the shift rail on the output housing. A screw in plug is used on wrangler models to plug this hole. This screw in plug also uses a white plastic washer that is nearly 1/8" thick. Make sure you have this washer installed. If you don't then you won't be able to get it into 4lo.

#3 ·
It sounds like you put the Synchro sleeve in backwards. It's the piece that slips over the mainshaft that gets moved back and forth by the mode fork. If you look at the Synchro sleeve from the side it will have a wide edge and a thin edge to it, even though it can slide on the main shaft either way. The Synchro Sleeve must have the wide edge facing the inside of the case. The thiner edge must be facing out towards you when your looking at it.

So pop off the rear yoke, the rear retainer you just got done siliconing in place pull the chain gears and shaft, and verify that the Sychro sleeve is in correctly, if is backwards, your T/ case will do exactly what your describing. So flip it, button it back up and bench test it.

#5 ·
swampintj said:
It sounds like you put the Synchro sleeve in backwards. It's the piece that slips over the mainshaft that gets moved back and forth by the mode fork. If you look at the Synchro sleeve from the side it will have a wide edge and a thin edge to it, even though it can slide on the main shaft either way. The Synchro Sleeve must have the wide edge facing the inside of the case. The thiner edge must be facing out towards you when your looking at it.

So pop off the rear yoke, the rear retainer you just got done siliconing in place pull the chain gears and shaft, and verify that the Sychro sleeve is in correctly, if is backwards, your T/ case will do exactly what your describing. So flip it, button it back up and bench test it.

Thats not it I made sure the ring was in correct.

I'm wondering if something might be biding with the planetary section.

It's a new day and I think I can take a nother unfrusterated look at it tonight when I get home tonight.

#6 ·
sounds like maybe your shift range fork, shift mode fork, or shift selector may be tweeked or out of alignment. that would definitely cause bind in your t-case and stop it from shifting. when I did my SYE last week I had trouble getting the main shafts in until I saw that the shift lever node had flopped out of the shift selector. Open it up again and make sure everything is in place.

good luck

#8 ·
Is the oiler installed correctly? Remember it fits inbetween the rear half and the new tail section. I have seen people try to put it inside the rear half and you get bind when you crank down the bolts. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Possible solution for sticking

Here are some things to check;
The easiest is the check already mentioned regarding the threaded plug.
Also, I have seen people install the pump below the rear case half and this is incorrect.
The last thing is something you may not have noticed. There is a large oil port drilled into the large end of the shaft where the range sleeve slides. If the oil hole is not deburred when the shaft is produced the range sleeve will stick in the area that it would normally be located in while in 4Lo. If this is the case you would need to remove the shaft and debur the edge of the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.