Pirate 4x4 banner

Question for you guys running TR beadlocks

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  cj4play 
#1 ·
I am just about to plunk down my cash for a set of TR beadlocks. One question did occur to be though.

Here in Michigan there are no rocks, so I travel to the Badlands, Tellico, Paragon, Canada and on occation, Moab and etc.. So, wheeling here involves mud (as much as I hate it)and it is probably 50 to 75% of what I do. How difficult is it to clean those wheels with the big ring on them? Does mud and crap have a way of escaping other the the slots in the wheel? I don't think I am interested in pulling off the beadlock every time I need to do a through cleaning.

What is your experience?

Thanks,
Tony

#4 ·
I just got my set of T/R beadlocks (avalanche). Went to Alabama last weekend and got in all kinds of mud. They are definitely a CHORE to clean. I also scratched the rings up pretty bad. I guess they can be smoothed again, but why bother. Kinda like a marlin's bill scratched on your boat's new transom. Just battle scars...
I seemed to be getting lots of looks. Guess not many T/R beadlocks here. They really are cool anyways.....
But back to the mud issue... They even hold some excess water also. It takes lots of water and care to get all of the sand and mud out of the rim. If you use a power washer, be prepared to wear some of the sand and mud. Also, I have been steadily been re-torqueing all of the bolts and now have to carry a torque wrench with my tools. Even with some of the bolts being loose, I have still not lost any air pressure in the tires. If you don't mind a little work you will be pleased with these beadlocks and they will cretainly do what they are supposed to do. I will get some pics for the board. I have yet to see anyone with a scratched ring. What do they do get new ones each time??????
Ricky...seeya...

#7 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the pics. I thought they would be hard to clean. I think I will put up with the extra work though, They just look so damn cool.

I was afraid someone would say that the ring would need to be pulled off to clean them, that would suck.

Thanks

Anyone else.

#11 ·
swamper502 said:
looks to me like those button head bolts are already starting to strip out from being drug over rocks, i would hate that sh*t.

It is kinda ugly, but the nut on the backside is not attached to the rim, so it can be unbolted very easily. They do give plenty of extra bolts and nuts with each wheel. Also, the bolts are stainless steel and should be very easy to find. I have found the nuts at the local Home Depot. I will hopefully get a source for some SS bolts, but in the meantime I do have plenty of spares....

Ricky...seeya...

#12 ·
I noticed that your wheels have holes in them -vs- the "D" type window. The Avalanche site shows the "D" style also. How did you get the ones with the holes? I like those better. Also, what backspacing did you go with? I plan on 2". Placing my order today.

Thanks,
Tony

#13 ·
I ordered some last week and I dont think that they mentioned that there was an option. But you will have to call them and ask.

My question is... Why do people buy these from TR. Avalanche is a LITTLE more but you get the button heads. And hell you even get a cool Avalanche carving.

#14 ·
cj4play said:
I noticed that your wheels have holes in them -vs- the "D" type window. The Avalanche site shows the "D" style also. How did you get the ones with the holes? I like those better. Also, what backspacing did you go with? I plan on 2". Placing my order today.

Thanks,
Tony

Basically the 8 lug wheel comes with the round hole and 5 and 6 lug get the D shaped holes.

#16 ·
I placed my order, 5 & 6 lug are only offered with the "D" window. Also, minimun back spacing was 2.5". Timing was around 4 weeks. Can not wait to see these things.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Later,
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.