Pirate 4x4 banner

Most liked engine swap in pre 80's JEEP

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  1RUSTYRIG 
#1 ·
Hello All.

This is for all the hard core hobbiests out there... I'd like to know what engine the most folks prefere to install in their JEEP's, Non stock engines that is. I have had a jeep with small block chevys since the early 70's but the 327 has a cracked block so it's engine time agian. I have a buick even fire and a chevy 454 sitting here should I decide to run either, but I hear that the Chevy V6, "shorty small block" is a real good choice. I'm not too sure the big block will fit in the thing, it's a 55, kind of narrow frame.
Anyhow send some feedback and let's see what's being run out there.

#2 ·
small block chevy v8 is probably the most common engine swap out there

Other popular swaps are
AMC V8 (easy bolt in to later CJs)
Ford 5.0
and Chevy V6 (4.3L)

For some of the early CJs (Pre amc era) the pinto 2L was a hot swap (check HighHooder's jeep)

#4 ·
small block chevy is about the most popular swap for anything

#8 ·
Gozuki said:
I love the 5.0 HO EFI...
The Ford 5.0 is the best v8 for a swb vehicle, 100lbs lighter then the chevy 350 and just as many if not more performance parts are available for the ford! The transmission choices are abundant as well. I would also guess that the Ford 302 is actually lighter than the jeep 4.0! ...but I don't know what a 4.0 weighs:confused:

#11 ·
I bought a 4.3L v6 off of ebay for $1K. It came COMPLETE down to the spark plugs. It is a 1996 with TBI. It is brand new and sold as an overage from GM. Dyno'd and balanced, but never installed. You can grab an ECU and wiring harness from an s-10 or astro van for about $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.