Pirate 4x4 banner

U-joint angles

880 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr.RatBastard 
#1 · (Edited)
Driveshafts

I know what you are supposed to do ,but.My personal experience shows otherwise. I want to hear from people running a standard shaft.....amount of lift....and how it is set up ( pinion pointed at transfer case or " proper set up")
Here is my experience :
CJ-5 w/11.5 " suspension...pinion pointed up...no vibration...ran that way for a few years.
2 differnt samurai's w/9" suspension....same story...1 year each
CJ-5 w/6" suspension...same...for about a year
after learning what I was "supposed" to do I ran a sye cv in a cherokee installed when I lifted it..also np
and another CJ-5 w/11.5" suspension w/cv.....also np
On my standard shafts ,contrary to what they tell you my pinions were point at the transfer case all w/np

#2 ·
I run a SOA CJ, prolly 1" left in the rear springs. 6cyl, 999 auto, D300, and 9". I run a standard 1350 shaft, and have less than 10* at either joint. T-case was lowerd in the stock crossmember, which bolts on the frame. No vibes, but I broke a ton of 1310/1330 conversion joints before I went with 1350s.

#6 ·
The wheel base wasnt extended.
It was built for mud and sand.....back in the day.....(it also had a 3 " body lift) 1 ran 44 hawgs and the 2nd had 42 tsl's.
This seems like a worse case senario for a standard shaft .
Anybody out there have problems with your standard shaft and swap in a cv.....fixing your problem ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.