Pirate 4x4 banner

Big Block conversions?

811 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rock Toy 
#1 ·
So I don't see anyone that has done the chev big block.... Is there a lot of problems using the BB other than less gas milage? or is it a problem with fitting them in the front of a narow frame jeep?

#2 ·
There are a lot of guys running the big rat motor, there are a few running the BB 460 Ford, and even the 500 Caddy engine.
Kevin Yoder is the 1st one to come to mind who is running the BB Chevy mill. He was there to pull me off of Fordyce trail last year, when I snapped both rear axle shafts. That is one bad ass Jeep engine.

#3 ·
Bridog said:
or is it a problem with fitting them in the front of a narow frame jeep?
no, no problem at all, if you swap the B/B instead of a S/B of the same make. i used to have a Chevy S/B and put in a Chevy B/B.

the B/B sits exactly in the same motor mounts of the S/B.

no problem with the tranny also.

the only thing to take care of, is the extra length - you may have to move forward something, like the radiator.

for me, since the radiator is in the back anyway, i had to move the 8274 about 7" forward.

if you use aluminum heads, you wo'nt even have to worry about the extra weight - the weight of an aluminum heads B/B i s similar to an iron heads S/B.

#4 ·
ok i have a 289 in my 47 willys, and even with the small block i have hardly any room in the engine compartment. i can't even fit stock 5.0 shorty headers in mine cuz the steering shaft is about .5 inch or less away from the exhaust manifold. what do you guys with the big blocks do to fit em in there?? ive got another project startin up, and it seemed that even a 350 would be a tight fit.

#5 ·

I have a 460 in my 83 CJ-7 and it fits like a charm. Don't see why it would be a problem. My motor DOES run incredibly warm and the best advise I could give you would be to get a GOOD radiator and open up the fender wells to help the engine compartment let off heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.