Pirate 4x4 banner

TJ clutch replacement and flywheel Q's

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SwampTJ 
#1 ·
... did the obligatory
, found some good info, but not enough. Yulp, I am an info junkie.

It's time for a new clutch in my 4.0L TJ (90k+ HARD miles). What do you guys recommend for a replacement clutch (first-hand info please)?

All the rags push Centerforce like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Searching PBB turns up info that says otherwise. I found more positives on LuK brand cutches than anything else, but I don't know a lot about these things other than they are cheap as hell ... $132 for the pressure plate, disc, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing.

Personally, I don't mind paying a bit extra for a "better" product both in performance and quality. And I fear something as cheap as these LuK pieces ... after all "you get what you pay for."

What do you guys recommend?

Also, what should I do with my TJ's flywheel. It has noticeable heat marks, but nothing severe. The concensus seems to be to NOT have it resurfaced (both in opinion and according to the FSM). Sanding it isn't a problem, but I would hate to bolt everything back up only to find out that I should have replaced the damn thing ... I hate pulling double wrenching duty.

What have you guys done?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

cmk

See less See more
#2 ·
the flywheel has a parabolic surfae and can not be cut by conventional means IF you plan on reusing a stock-type clutch.
I resurfaced my flywheel with my 4.0L becuase I have a t-5 (ick) behind it in my CJ, and I could do that with the CJ clutch disc.
I have a centerforce I clutch, and I would NOT use it again. Luk replacment, all the way.

#3 ·
I put a Luk in my TJ about 2 months ago. I didn't know what to do about the flywheel thing so I went over it with some sandpaper. Well it's started to slip a little in first when I start moving. Only does it at real low rpms though. So I guess this summer I'll be pulling it all out again to put in a new flywheel. I'd suggest a Luk clutch, maybe the pro gold or whatever it's called if you feel like spendin some money & get a new flywheel. Oh the regular Luk clutch looked exactly like the OEM clutch, I think it even had the same markings in the same places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.