Pirate 4x4 banner

2.8L to 3.4L swap in a cheorkee

697 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  redruM 
#1 ·
My little Bro blew up his 2.8 in his cheorkee surprise surprise. I have heard that the 93 commaro 3.4 is a bolt for bolt swap for an auto tranny except tyou have to have the flex plate balanced. Here is the problem he has the stock 85 cheorkee manual tranny.
Will this swap still work with this tranny? If so what needs to be modified to make it work? Im not much of an engine guy so I need some help.
Thanks once agine guys and girls.:beer:

#3 ·
Thanks but I dont need a kit to swap the engine into an s-10. I need to know if it will bolt into a cheorkee manual transmission like it does the Auto without an adaptor. And what clutch mods I need to make on the vehicle if it will bolt onto the Manual tranny

#5 ·
O.k. sorry for blowing off your sugestion at first sundowner. The page you gave me was wrong so I looked up thier name on the aol's search and found a tid bit of info on swaping the 3.4 into a cheorkee(on some odball site). Where are they located and do you have a Number I could call. I think talking to them might just be a damn good idea.
oh ya if anybody else has any info i still want it.....

#6 ·
It does not matter if you have an auto or a manual tranny, they are the same block, same fit and bolt pattern...you'll need to have your flexplate machined due to the internally ballanced Cambird engine and blah blah blah will need an electric fuel pump if you have not already gone that route with the 2.8L. Also think about keeping the multiport injection or swapping to a weber 38 carb. You'll need the old oil pan from the 2.8 unless you have a custom exhaust made. The chevy dealer kit is probably just the ZZX crate motor...big bucks for a short block 3.4L....I'd go with the boneyard 3,4 and shoot for the MPI route...while you're at it let me know if figured out away to use the Cambird's tranny as well. :confused: :flipoff2:

#7 ·
Thanks for the info it will probbly be a couple of weeks before he has the money to do this swap(plus we have to find a junk engine he cant afford a new crate motor). I will let you know about the tranny.:flipoff2: :beer:

#8 ·
Chuck @ Unique Concepts in Dallas just finished this exact swap
96 Camaro 3.4 into a 85XJ with a 5-speed

things i remember he had trouble with:

Computer security chip in camaro key
Flex plate needed to be balanced
Electric Fuel pump was required (frame mounted ford truck pump)

the header bolted right up i was amazed

Chuck 972-221-2569

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.