Pirate 4x4 banner

Need help on Helicoil and bolt size

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepnmatt 
#1 ·
Ok, read a past thread on how to do it.
Went to auto parts store , and got a 5/16 kit and began to tap. It is too small for the stripped hole to make threads, but is same size of bolt.
I stripped one of them out doing my brakes, top one on driver side. It is ok, but don't want to drive much on it like it is.

Do I need to buy one size larger on tap, and use 5/16 bolt I got at dealer, or do I need larger bolt also?
If so what size bolt/tap and helicoil? this is for my TJ.

the 5/16 is largest I have on hand. I am really in a bind, and haven't ever done this before. I am bumming.

thanks Bryan

#3 ·
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html

hopefully, this will help. after you figure out how to do it, you'll feel like a hero when you can fix your friends broken chit. my latest was a brand new chainsaw that my buddy borrowed from his step-father. he cross-threaded one of the bolts that holds the bar on, and then stripped it out when it wouldn't go all the way in. i had him buy the helicoil kit (and leave it at my house) and did it in about 5 minutes. a good investment is a Hanson ratcheting tap handle. they are GERMAN made (not by hanson) and of excellent quality. you should be able to pick one up at **** Depo or Ace Hardware.

matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.