Pirate 4x4 banner

charcoal canister elimination

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  yjtj 
#1 · (Edited)
i'm putting an EFI 302 into a '76 7 and was wondering if i can eliminate the rear charcoal canister? i'm strecthing the rear out a couple "s and would like cut the fenders back, BUT the dern charcoal canister is in the way.

what exactly does the CC do? is it primarily for emissions?
is there a way to just pull it out and hook the lines up directly?

thanks - russel

and :rolleyes: to the first :rainbow: who rags on my for NOT searching, b/c i DID and nothing about his came up.

#2 ·
The charcoal canister absorbs fuel vapors from the tank/carb or whatever. When the engine is running, it suck all the vapors out into the intake. You can get rid of it if you want, just plug the vaccumn line and leave the vent open, or just relocate it out of the way. It doesn't hurt performance at all, so there's no advantage to removing it.

#3 ·
i took mine off cause i eliminated the fenders and wanted a cleaner looking engine bay.

#4 ·
sweet. what all did you do to elliminate it. did you just plug stuff up and/or use the existing lines and just pull out the canister out?

thanks -russel

#5 ·
i swapped motors so there was no vacume to it anymore so i just pulled it off the firewall and left the breather line down there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.