Cons of running the hummer magnesium runflat - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40889
Cons of running the hummer magnesium runflat

need some help here. I have already had the 8 bolt hummer rims from USA6x6 and had the pvc insert. I now have some 12 bolt hummer rims and have the magnesium runflats that came with them. Are they worth anything? Can I cut the part off that was designed for the runflat and use just the clamp part to lock the tires. I am wanting to run either the 42" Tsls or 42" IROKS. Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.
rthill97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Yes, you can cut the run flat part off of the lock and run it... plenty of people here have done it... You better be damn carefull then you do it though, Magnisium is highly flamable when it is cut into small shavings...
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18342
Send a message via AIM to JeepCrawler98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmozilla
Yes, you can cut the run flat part off of the lock and run it... plenty of people here have done it... You better be damn carefull then you do it though, Magnisium is highly flamable when it is cut into small shavings...
I say put on some welding goggles and light a match
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30432
I run the radial RUBBER runflats and love them. I did not cut them down either.

I have seen the inside of a 44TSL that had the Mag. Runflat in it and not cut down and it chewed the shit out of it and it would not hold air anymore.

JOSH
Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26393
I cut down my mag runflats and have been running them with 42" TSLs for about a year now without problems...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13889
I run mag runflats with 42" IROKS. The runflat portion is cut off. Plus I ran into a problem with the bead on the IROK being thicker than the bead on my SX's. End result was I cut a half inch off the edge of each one. The magnesium cut easily with a sawsall.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40889
Cool

Great! I really appreciate the replies. If anyone else has info or an opinion please give them. Thanks

Rob
rthill97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 43964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmozilla
You better be damn carefull then you do it though, Magnisium is highly flamable when it is cut into small shavings...
I heard this too and when we cut apart my set of mags we decided to find out how "flamable" it really was. To say the least it was a dissapointment. It took a torch some time to get it hot enough to be "flamable" and even then it was like a water soaked sparkler. It did get pretty bright but not an uncontrollable flame. Cardboard would be considered more flamable.
keepviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26393
Hit a pile of magnesium shavings with a spark and it'll brighten your day up. After I got done cutting my runflats down I cleaned up the shavings (or so I thought). However, I missed a small pile (maybe the size of a fist) on the backside of my bandsaw. Later that day I was grinding and some sparks flew back there and ignited the magnesium. The fire burned the lubrication hose on the saw and when the water mixture drained out onto the mag fire it pretty much exploded into a shower of white hot sparks... all over the garage floor. Had me dancing around trying to keep everything contained for a few minutes... be careful with the shavings.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25028
If you're careful, you can actually cut them with a plasma. It shoots a lot of sparks, but the large chunk left over doesn't even get warm.
Flashover Mfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47326
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Hit a pile of magnesium shavings with a spark and it'll brighten your day up. After I got done cutting my runflats down I cleaned up the shavings (or so I thought). However, I missed a small pile (maybe the size of a fist) on the backside of my bandsaw. Later that day I was grinding and some sparks flew back there and ignited the magnesium. The fire burned the lubrication hose on the saw and when the water mixture drained out onto the mag fire it pretty much exploded into a shower of white hot sparks... all over the garage floor. Had me dancing around trying to keep everything contained for a few minutes... be careful with the shavings.
You need a shop web cam!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 43445
just cut down a couple myself. I used a sawzall with a wood and nails saw. it cuts chunks not small shavings less flammable. I did it in a clean area and kept it clean while I worked just in case. be careful if it goes it will be hot.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 56633
Running them on the street?

Anybody running around on the street with cut down runflats?

I am going to run the H1's when I get my 60's finished.

I plan on driving my rig around on the road some.

I am worried about how out of balance the runflats may be.
YJPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
CCF

Member # 46331
Im planning on doing the same thing...running the runflats and hummer tires on the street. From the reserach I have done...the first 5 miles of driving them after they sit over night, they will be pretty bad, but after that, they will true up, and run fine. Its not so much "out of balance", but more the fact that they flat spot easily when sitting still.
I've also heard they are kind of scary on the road...especially when they go from one texture of road to another...Ive heard even the paint on the road can make them dart one way or another, but we'll see I guess.
Kyle
Old 06-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 556
That would be indicative of the 36" bias-ply OZ tires (come with the 8 bolt wheels & mag run-flats), the 37" radials (come with the 12-bolt wheels & rubber run-flats) shouldn't behave that way.