Pirate 4x4 banner

ax15 external vs internal clutch slave cylinder

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rudyYJ 
#1 ·
gurus,
i need to put replace the ax15 in my 95 yj with 4.0. i have the external slave cylinder for my clutch. i understand that these transmissions have not changed since around 1990? except for the slave assembly. if i get a transmission with the internal slave cylinder can i swap the belllhousing, throwout bearing and fork off my current transmission so that it will still have an external slave? if not what do i need to look for? thanks in advance.

ryan

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, The only thing you left out was the Tranny input bearing retainer. Different one for internal to work with the concentric bearing.

Here is a copy of a post I did for someone who was going internal to external. Parts list and all is in there somewhere. I had some clutch issues too and swapped in a new one. Probably best to use one that goes with the type slave you are using.

The info I have is for the swap on a 93 XJ AX-15. Not sure about other setups but here goes:

I got most of what I needed at a junkyard but I recommend buying new clutch components if you can to eliminate the need for going back in anytime soon.

You will need: Bellhousing for a 95' AX-15- some 94's might have it but I used a 95.
Throwout bearing- 95
Fork- 95
Slave cyl- mine was stock 95
Hydro Hose for 95- got mine at junkyard, dealer will want to sell you a "sealed system" Of M-cyl,S-cyl and hose combo for $200+-
Pivot ball and spring clip for fork (should be on bell)
Tranny input bearing retainer for 95- Has long nose for the throwout bearing to ride on
Clutch plate/Disk for 95- Had slightly longer fingers for the 95 throwout bearing

Swap is really straight forward: Remove tranny(Had tranny jack so we left the tcase on
Remove internal slave junk
Remove old bell
Remove old tranny input retainer
Install 95 tranny input retainer(with RTV)
Put on 95 bell
Install pivot ball, fork, spring clip them on (I used an new clip)
Install clutch on flywheel
Put tranny back in: swap long 3/8-16 grade 8 studs for top bolts to make alignment easier
Swap in 95 slave hose and slave
Bleed hydraulic system and Wheel

It's a little abreviated but that should cover it. If you have any questions let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Good luck

#3 · (Edited)
thanks for the detailed response. seeing that my jeep is a 95 i should have all the parts that you listed correct? also, i cant picture the input bearing retainer in my head, does this swap require the dissasembly of the tranny or removal of the input shaft or is it just on the outside? if you could explain that part for me it would be great. thanks for the help.

also, i read that a different pilot bearing is needed when swapping from a 95 ax15 input shaft to an earlier model with the internal slave. do you know anything about this?

ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.