Pirate 4x4 banner

Rancho 44044 Questions

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  njeepcj5 
#1 ·
I have a couple of questions for those running the 44044's on thier jeeps. Did you remove or add any leafs to the pack or are ya running them just like they are? I know I read a post by the rockslut and he said he removed the 3rd leaf from the bottom if I can remember correctly. Is this necessary or just a way to get more flex and a softer ride? Opinions?

Thanks...

#3 ·
Thansk Rockslut.
Have you ever thought about using Toy rear springs? The newer truck rear springs are 6 inches longer than the YJ springs and have a 8 inch offset. Putting these on front and rear could give you a 8 inch gain over your stock wheel base if you moved your spring mounts 3 inches out every way.
Bring the rear frame mount foreward and use a buggy at the end of the rear. Up front make a shackle reversal that moves the spring foreward by 3 inches and at the end go with a buggy thats 3 inches back.
With the 8 inch offset this will push the front foreward 4 inches and teh back reaward by 4 inches...

Toy springs are a tad narrower than the YJ's but that shouldn't be a problem.
Just looking at DRM's Spring size chart today and tossing around some ideas in my head..

Do you know of anyone who has done this?

#6 ·
I use a combination of factory FJ40 (military wrapped main and second spring), and factory Grand waggy springs in the rear. They work awsome.
It took a lot of experimenting though to find the perfect combo.
If I ever have to replace them Ill have Alcan build me a set using the spring rates of the springs I have now.

#7 ·
MilspecXJ said:
Most of the Toy owners are swapping to 44044's and other Waggy springs, i'd bet you'd experience alot of axlewrap with those springs?
Yes, but welcome to the world of SOA and long springs.
An unwritten rule with running a set-up like this is the inclusion of a traction bar.
Becomes a necessity when running the long end of the spring to the fixed side. IMO
I'm looking at 56" Dakota springs for my application. outboarding both mounts to position the axle back 5".

#8 ·
I am aware of the need for a traction bar.

I was thinking of using a Toy main and shortned F-150 leafs to make some custom front and rear spring packs. Toy has 8 inches of offset and ford has 7 inches of offset so they would match up no problem.

How many leafs are you running in your rear packs H8monday? How much lift over stock? What springs are you running up front?
What are the specs on the FJ-40 springs?

How far did you move the rear axle back and how far foreward did you move the front?

I'm just trying to figure out a way to extend my wheel base and to use a longer spring for better ride/flex and of course do it for cheap.. :)

Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.