Pirate 4x4 banner

440 going into a Jeep

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Grendel 
#1 ·
Ok, my fiance is wanting to build a Jeep, which I think is awesome, and here is her requirments: 440 big block, 38" swampers, and it has to be bright orange. Well that means I have to take care of the rest. She's wanting a manual tranny....and we have a Sm420, but I have found that NO ONE has a bellhousing to mate the 2. So I guess that means I'm gonna start a Dodge 435 search. I'm thinking i'm gonna use a YJ frame just for the extra strengh...oh she wants a Cj front clip!! So, I'm looking for suggestions for suspension...and how to fit a 440 in....i'm guessing i'm gonna go with a tube fenders for space. What does you guys think??? The Jeep will see rocks in AZ and hills in TN.....so i wanna build it accordingly to do good in both. Later :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

#2 ·
got a dodge 435, but shipping might kill ya. the motor should fit fine. you'll have to make your own mounts. use the factory "fail safe" brackets from the motor, then you only have to make a bracket with a slot in it for the mount to drop into. other than that, running gear depends on how your fiance drives!:eek:

#6 ·
If you want to save 60lbs. and have a slightly narrower engine, get a 400 B-Block (440 is a RB block) and drop a 440 crank in it. The 400 actually has a slightly larger bore so you'll be bigger than a 440, 448 if I remember right. If you know any good machinist, they should be able to make SM420 fit a Mopar bellhousing. There were to snouts available for the A-833 I used in my Roadrunner, and 2 bellhousings to fit each. Either way you can make it work. The smaller one you could have it opened up to the size of the SM420(boring head on a milling machine) and redrill the Bolt pattern. The bigger one will be close, if it's smaller bore it, if its bigger, make a ring to adapt it with .001-.002 press on the OD, and give it .005" slip. Redrill your B.P. and there you go.

No machinist friends? The 435 is a pretty good tranny:D

Hope I helped.

#7 ·
Tell her that if she really loves you she will make life easy for you and go with a 350 and the sm420..If she wants more power just pump up the 350.

I know that it is hard to please a woman sometimes but you could give her a little kiss and explain how if you do this you will have more time to spend with her. Just saying this cuz every problem that a 350 swap could run into has been addressed and there is some part or way to make it work.

#8 ·
Magoo, thanks for all the info.....that's gonna help out great!!! And I wish she was easy to convince to go with a 350, but she WANTS a Mopar.....440 to be exact, you know women....she is stuck on it! Plus she keeps saying she wants more cubic inches than me, I run a 400 chevy in my YJ. And are you kidding.....I'm not letting her go.....she bought me my 39.5" TSLs.....and beadlocks!!! :D and it only took one wheeling trip for her to want a built up Jeep......and after trying to convince her to buy an old CJ and wheel it stock for awhile then build it, I just said forget it and here we are building her's from the frame up :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

#9 ·
There's a dodge 435 n the for sale board now. With a 440...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.