Pirate 4x4 banner

D60 question ? (newbie)

849 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wheelinjps gal 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there a lot of threads and pages in the web but I dont found this constellation.
Situation: I want to do an axle swap in my XJ. Now I have the choice between D44 front and rear (rear SF) from a Waggy and a D60 FF rear from Dodge Military W200. (cut and respline no problem I think, disc brake I dont know,(D44 rear 6 lug pattern?))
If I take the D44 front with 6 lug, is there a possibility to build a D60 with 6 lug too ?
I prefer D60 because FF and strength , I have a V8 inside !!
Thank you !

#2 ·
You could probably have the current holes filled and then redrill for the bolt pattern you want. You might also look for wheel spacers that change the lug pattern. Do a search on wheel spacers it should give you a ton of info

#3 · (Edited)
It seems that the hub of the D60 has a to big diameter to fit a wheelspacer to use the same wheels on all axles.
(Explanation: I want the spare wheels match front and rear, because I want to drive in wilderness in winter time, like you would drive to north canada or alaska, I have huskies).

Can I remove the Dodge hubs and install disc brakes plus 6 lug pattern ? I have read Warn has something like that, but on their Webpage I cant find any details!

Perhaps you can take a look on this, http://www.jeepin.com/features/rigs/greg2.html
I want to do the same, with the only difference, I dont want to change the D44 front brake system,6 lug pattern ... only adapt the D60 to the D44 6 lug pattern .

#4 ·
Well since you dont want to take the easy route(8lug front outers) then you have 2 choices that I know of off hand. One is to have the bearing hubs on the 60 machined to fit through the center of a 6lug wheel and have the 8 holes filled and then redrill for 6lug. The only other option is to eliminate the full floater part and weld bearing housings on the ends and pay up to 300 for a pair of flanged axles. I have been here before and I just got 8 lug front outers for 50bucks for the front which was a mild upgrade on the brakes as well.Good luck NEWBIE:flipoff2:

#5 ·
@ wheelinjp

can you make some explainations about the "the easy route(8lug front outers) " on the D44(6lug Waggy). Are there web pages with some examples? Which vendors offer complete kits for such a conversion?

@Weezer and wheelinjp, thank you for helping!

Bengt

#7 ·
To be honest it would work out to be cheaper dollar for dollar to have the d60 hubs and end of axle machined than to go to the 8lug stuff the way they show it on the link you PMed me with. In fact if you go and buy it all new both other ways are cheaper that I showed you. The cheapest being the hub machining and filled and redrilled. Ir you can find a complete 8lug internal splined hubbed d44 or 10bolt front for 150.00 or less I would go that route. Buyer beware, mine had a bad caliper and rotor and I bought it sight unseen from a friend so needless to say I was pissed. Dont buy one with fire damage unless you want all new parts anyway. The internal splined hubs I reffered to are the little ones that are the same as what you have on the waggy front.If you go this way everything is an over the counter item to replace.

#8 · (Edited)
Next question

Are there only 8 lug wheels with 16" diameter or are there 8 lug wheels with 15" diameter ,too. Cant find some.
After the swap to 8 lug on d44 may be the rotors to big for 15" and drum brakes anyway !
Problem, I have just new General Grabber Muds 15" !!!!!!

#9 ·
Re: Next question

AUR-JX20 said:
Are there only 8 lug wheels with 16" diameter or are there 8 lug wheels with 15" diameter ,too. Cant find some.
After the swap to 8 lug on d44 may be the rotors to big for 15" and drum brakes anyway !
Problem, I have just new General Grabber Muds 15" !!!!!!
I have to say it you know The SEARCH feature would answer alot for this thread, and yes they do have 15in 8lug rims and if you run a 2.5in backspace you wont have to grind the caliper, but I would run 15x10s with a 3.5 or 4in backspace and do the minimal grinding to the caliper(not much I understand) then keep the GRabbers. Call $wh parts they sell them along with many other places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.