Pirate 4x4 banner

Just got a flattie, now what?

900 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  46willys 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just got a 1949 CJ-2A. It is restored to factory condition. What are some super budget mods that will help it perform better off-road?

By the way it seems to have spring perches on TOP of the axles from the factory in addition to the spring under ones that are being used right now. Are these realy spring perches?

P.S. keep in mind that we want to stick with the factory drivetrain for now.

#2 ·
Maybe some new springs.

Some sort of power steering setup.

I dont know what there is for a stock one but some sort of traction aid in terms of a locker.

Doing all that will give you a better ride and more flex with the addition of higher off-roading abilities.

I used a CJ 5 Steering box, and CJ springs.

#3 ·
A 4 liter V8 eater said:
A friend of mine just got a 1949 CJ-2A. It is restored to factory condition. What are some super budget mods that will help it perform better off-road?
Not exactly budget, but get yourself a Warn OD. The extra gears really help with the old engine. Beyond that, lockrites are available for the original axles.

A 4 liter V8 eater said:
By the way it seems to have spring perches on TOP of the axles from the factory in addition to the spring under ones that are being used right now. Are these realy spring perches?

P.S. keep in mind that we want to stick with the factory drivetrain for now.

The extra spring perches are for coil helper springs, a factory option. Are they on both axles or just the rear? Does it have a rear PTO or anything like that?

#6 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Just got a flattie, now what?

Grandpa Jeep said:

Not exactly budget, but get yourself a Warn OD. The extra gears really help with the old engine. Beyond that, lockrites are available for the original axles.

The extra spring perches are for coil helper springs, a factory option. Are they on both axles or just the rear? Does it have a rear PTO or anything like that?
they are on both axles. No, it doent have a PTO. Can the warn overdrives be easily found in a junkyard?

#9 ·
Before you start making alot of mods you may want to check the resale value. If it is factory original and in good shape it could be worth ALOT more if it were left that way. There are alot of flatties out there already modified but few original ones left. If you want to build one you might want to sale that one for a profit and use the money to get one that has already been modified. Just my opinion but if you start modifing an original it could end up being worth less that it is now.

Keith

#10 ·
KEEP IT ORIGINAL

Yeah..... if it is in original condition and stock... esp if they are lots of its original parts on it... then KEEP IT THAT WAYYYYY... Very few to no mods shold be made to it. Wheel it LIGHTLY

It's a sacralege to fawk with a orginal and pristine rig.

Sell it to a person with interest in collecting and keeping stock.. by something else to make a wheeler out of.

#11 ·
Keith Haw said:
Before you start making alot of mods you may want to check the resale value. If it is factory original and in good shape it could be worth ALOT more if it were left that way. There are alot of flatties out there already modified but few original ones left. If you want to build one you might want to sale that one for a profit and use the money to get one that has already been modified. Just my opinion but if you start modifing an original it could end up being worth less that it is now.

Keith
What he said with this as an adition. If it's restored it may be worth as much as something that wheels better. Pretty much a stock 2A sucks for wheeling, or anything else except driving around in a parade with a gun in your lap, wistfully waving to hot looking chicks young enough to be your grand daughter. Get rid of it and get something longer in wheelbase, like a YJ. They're cheap, newer and don't ride like a 2X4 with roller skate wheels like some scooter thing in an our gang oldie.

#13 ·
46willys said:
If you find a warn OD in the junk yard I want you to take me to vegas sometime..
I found mine in a junkyard. That being said, it's real rare to find one there. The junkyard I got mine from knew what it was so I didn't get a great deal on it (didn't get screwed either). If you want one, drop hermtheoverdriveguy@yahoo.com a line. He rebuilds them and carries parts. They also show up on ebay quite often. Also, check the Willys Tech Parts Board They show up there regularly too.

#14 ·
Steve N said:

What he said with this as an adition. If it's restored it may be worth as much as something that wheels better. Pretty much a stock 2A sucks for wheeling, or anything else except driving around in a parade with a gun in your lap, wistfully waving to hot looking chicks young enough to be your grand daughter. Get rid of it and get something longer in wheelbase, like a YJ. They're cheap, newer and don't ride like a 2X4 with roller skate wheels like some scooter thing in an our gang oldie.
So a stock YJ wheels better than a stock CJ2a ? :laughing: :laughing: :jester:

But I do agree, if it's restored - don't modify it.

#15 ·
I found mine in a junkyard. That being said, it's real rare to find one there. The junkyard I got mine from knew what it was so I didn't get a great deal on it (didn't get screwed either). If you want one, drop hermtheoverdriveguy@yahoo.com a line. He rebuilds them and carries parts. They also show up on ebay quite often. Also, check the Willys Tech Parts Board They show up there regularly too.
Well all be darned, I guess we are going to vegas.

I guess I should have been more area specific or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.