Pirate 4x4 banner

T-CASE (NP231 w/4:1) went south

833 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  withamc 
#1 · (Edited)
OK... I was nervouse.. didnt like the oil under my jeep and the amoutn of it... and the tick tick tick tick noise I had driving

before leaving work at 9pm I grabbed out my 12v neon woirk light, got under the TJ... pulled the plug from the T case..... and it was like bone dry... I pumped oil in... and it came out on me as fast as it went in..

Sooooooo.. either case half silicon gave up... case is cracked.. orrr??

Any hints... ideas... how hard is it to pull the caseee?

I have no transportation... no bus to my job site.. and 30 dollar tax ride too... Im in a heap of trouble here...

Any Ohio guys or PA guys want to do a wrenching weekend?

What damage should I expect... ? I have the case half and parts from before the 4:1 so that helps maybe..

While it is out... should I do the heavey duty chain up grade? I have a JB conversions heavy duty short shaft in it now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi coachgeo,

You're a bit far for me to come help wrench this weekend, but I do have a few thoughts for you.

Without seeing your T/Case I would suspect one of the case casting has cracked. Sorry.

I just can't image oil pouring out of it past the RTV seal between the case half's. These two pieces are machined fairly tightly together. Even if the RTV wasn't there it wouldn't pour out, but rather weep over time.

I know you said you have a 4:1, so lets hope if the case is cracked it is the rear case and not the Tera.

Here are some things you might want to think about.

If you ran your case dry there is a high probability that other "things" have worn as a result of oil starvation. The most likely part would be the chain ($95 TRW Chain at NAPA).

The next most likely to be effected would be both input and output main shaft bearings and the oil pump.

The planetary gears in the front half of the case should be fine.

That said.

JBConversions has brand new NV231 T/Cases with HD Short Shaft, Wide Chain, Sprockets with large Syncro Ring for $750.

If I were in your situation I would consider calling them in the morning and having a unit overnighted to my home.

Obviously this would not have the 4:1 in it, but it would be a straight bolt-up swap to your Jeep and get you back in business and able to get to and from work.

And all would be brand new.

Then you could trouble shoot your existing T/Case. If it turns out to be the rear half of the case is bad you could salvage the 4:1 up front and have it reinstalled in your new T/Case.

If it turns out your 4:1 case is bad, well then it's bad but your Jeep is still up and running. In this case you might be able to sell your HD Short Shaft Kit.

Swapping the t/case completely out is not complicated at all, but it would help if you could find someone to help you who has done this.

Two guys could swap this out in about 2 hours.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck to you.

Frank

#3 ·
Thanx frank... GREAT INFO

Ill call him toomorw...

Probably will just have him throw in a 4:1. and if mine not bad Ill have a spare case to use or sell.

#4 ·
Dang, if you are going to drop that kinda $$$$$ give AA a call and say atlas.

If it were me I would find someone who has replaced their 231 and see if I couldnt get one real cheap.

But hey, do whatever you need to do to get that thing on the road.

I guess an Atlas may still be about twice as high but hey, its an Atlas.

#5 ·
If you have a few minutes

Try to take about 20 minutes and call the local u-pull it around your area. Check for Cherokees because they will likely have them over Jeeps.

I see 231's all the time at these yards and the going rate is $100.

Slap one in and drive your TJ until you can fix your t-case. Isn't there some kind of warranty if it was the 4:1 part that cracked?

Whatever your solution pulling the case is easy. I pulled mine in 40 minutes last night from start to finish.

#6 ·
I agree with 46willys, I would consider an Atlas before I dropped that kind of cash into another 231.

You can go with a used 231. You will need an SYE for it to work with your present drive shaft. Hopefully, the bearings on your mainshaft were not damaged and you can swap the SYE from your busted t-case over to the new one.

Geez! $30 for a taxi? Rent a car, dude.

RR3

#7 ·
Yeah.. Ill rent a car.. or pump up my bike tires heehe

Im checking prices on JB's heavyduty set up with a 4:1

Will compair to an Atlas.. ahhh will Atlas need a new drive shaft to though?

I can hopefully find my old drive shaft from before the SYE if I find a cheapy T case for the mean time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.