Pirate 4x4 banner

HP dana 60 pinion lube fix?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepnmatt 
#1 · (Edited)
I have read here that the pinion bearing on a HP dana 60 can starve for gear oil when you tilt it up and point it at the transfer case, when used as a rear axle, even seen it recomended to go to the Tere 60 housing because of this. I have a CJ2A with 350, SM420, and Dana 300(4-1), My wheelbase is 85 " at present with leaf springs, so I will have to point it at the transfer case and run a CV joint. I read in a 4sale section some where that this person had had his housing modified to to fix this. I have searched every where for this with no answer. Any body know if there is a fix, or where a description is?
I have a 14 bolt I could run and put the 60 in the front. But I can get Dana 44 parts and build that for the front much cheaper, as all I have is a HP 60 housing inner knuckle to inner knuckle. My tires are MTR 35's now, and dont see any thing over a 38x12.50 TSL in the future. And I plan on running this on the street also, trailering not a good option at present.
Would like some input on this, I want to get this part of my build up done and I'm sorta stuck here, as the I can see the CJ5 44 and 30 aren't going to cut it. Thought about building a scout rear, with the Warn full floater, I have that in the 44 now, and should be able to do this with just new axles.
Comments or thoughts. Or flame the hell outa me.
Andy :question: :question: :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've run my stock HP 60 housing with the stock internal oil baffles pointed at the T case on my YJ for 5 years without any problems. It has around 12-15K on it in that time with several 300 mile road trips on it. It's been modified with 14 bolt tubes and floaters. Rear driveshaft length of 13.5" with 8" of suspension lift. No drop on T case.

The only thing I learned is that during break-in the oil doesn't get to the pinion bearings quickly enough and it can cause them to fail. Dynatrac recommends packing the pinion bearings in grease and prefilling the pinion cavity with gear lube then take it out at 30-40 miles an hour.

#3 ·
lt1yj said:
I've run my stock HP 60 housing with the stock internal oil baffles pointed at the T case on my YJ for 5 years without any problems. It has around 12-15K on it in that time with several 300 mile road trips on it. It's been modified with 14 bolt tubes and floaters. Rear driveshaft length of 13.5" with 8" of suspension lift. No drop on T case.

The only thing I learned is that during break-in the oil doesn't get to the pinion bearings quickly enough and it can cause them to fail. Dynatrac recommends packing the pinion bearings in grease and prefilling the pinion cavity with gear lube then take it out at 30-40 miles an hour.
Thanks, This is what I was worried about. If I go the HP rear axle, and I'm leaning that way, I will head your advice.
Still curious as to any possible modifications that someone has done, or a website that has info on this. Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.