Pirate 4x4 banner

toyota rear axle swap to yj

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  DozerDan 
#1 ·
So what are the pros and cons? Ground clearence, strength, cost. Anyone else running one? Availability (probably more of a question for the toy page)?

I already have a six lug pattern 44 for the front so the toy rear would match.
Well what do think.... let me have it!!!!

#2 ·
Go for it. I have front and back toy rears in my scrambler and love them. I believe the strength is the same as a 44 the shaft size is almost identical and they both have 30 splines. To each his own, everyone will tell you something different.

#5 ·
You said you had put a set of Toy axles in your Scrambler? I have a few questions for you then. What did you do about the steering, buy a crossover steering set up? Did you find an adaptor to run the metric fitting on the brakes with your sae lines? And last, how did you mate the Toy flange on the diff to your driveline? I've got a set of Toy axles in my yard and had been thinking of putting them in my Jeep an now I might just get around to doing it.

#6 ·
I was looking into this myself, I had a line on a cheap toy rear (free), it fell through though so I went with a waggy rear.

The only drawback that I found was if you planning on gearing any higher than 4.88 the Dana and Toyota ratios don't match. I don't remember the exact numbers though.

Go for it!

#9 ·
The front toy axles have a hard line that runs from the caliper to the soft line. All I did was put a sae fitting on these lines and then went through the books at the local NAPA to find rubber lines that were long enough with the right ends to work. You could always order custom made lines. The rear was easier, all I did there was change my hard line fitting to metric and then used a rubber line that worked. I got lucky on the axle flanges, I went to my local driveshaft/machineshop and told them what I wanted. I had the original toy flange with and they matched it to one that works with my standard u-joint. He said that the flange adapters were becoming popular because of people running chevy drivetrains in there toys. And yes I bought hysteer arms, I had my draglink and tierod custom made with heim-ends. These axles are strong, I have a spool in the rear and lockright in the front,it's my daily driver and see's plenty of trail duty. I run 37s and the only trouble I found was with the birfields but a guy by the name of Bobby Long has pretty much taken care of that.

#12 ·
5.38 in front and 5.29 in the rear work just fine. toyota axles are way easier to find than say a 44, and way cheaper than a 8.8(also no c-clips). find an ifs(86 and later) rear and it will be 58"wms-wms and will have 6 lug. i would think a high pinion 3rd member would be as strong as a hp 44, but i've never tested either.:beer:

#13 ·
do it? people run 38's on toy axles and u can get an eclectric locker for it but the problem is is gettin the right width, go for either a second gen but i would get a third gen with an electic locker already in it so u don;t need to do housing modes

#14 ·
Toy tacoma = 8.4" axle 60" wide 31 spline
Toy tacoma TRD 8" axle 60"wide 31 spline Elocker

the tacoma can be had with as low as 4.56 gears, thats what I got bc i am already geared to that.

Dan

#16 · (Edited)
weAre138 said:
http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000828
this guy did it from colorado4x4 its looks cool check out his link..it was in a tj but there about the same his a real cool guy drop him a email iam sure he will be more than happy to talk to ya cord318@msn.com
Thanks for the compliment.

I did it with YJ springs too so I guess it is the same thing:rolleyes: This thread has all my questions and alot of good answers to them. Availibility on the Toy stuff is good. People throw spools and 38's on them all the time too, so I wouldn't worry about the strength. I have measured it yet but guesstimation is a gain of around an inch of ground clearance vs. my Dana44. The drive shaft was an easy adaptation. I found a chevy flange with a 1310 series joint(same as TJ) and the holes matched right up with the HP Landcruiser 3rd member. If you look you can find em' pretty cheap. I scored on mine, $325 shipped with the e-locker and 4.10's. Feorignautosalvage I THINK.
Let me know if you need help with housing identification or anything.
FYI: You do need to modify the housing to accept the e-locker 3rd (hi or low) on all of the Toy 8" Housings.
Cord

#17 ·
Brian E said:
Two wheel drive toy rears are 5 on 4.5 and the right width. These would work for the guys sticking with the stock front 30.
Yes and no. 2wd v6 have the 8.4 with 5 on 4.5 bp, all other 2wd have a differnt axle a 7.5 or something.

I am goin to try to get some shafts from a v6 2wd to put in my 8.4 housing but I dont know for sure if it will work yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.