Another Hydro Boost/Power steering question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55849
Another Hydro Boost/Power steering question

I have searched and read enough about Hydro-boost/power steering pump problems to make my hair hurt. Anyway, While hanging on the side of the Death Spike at Paragon, I sheared the pulley off my power steering pump. I am using a Hydro boost brake setup in conjuction with a combination Rockstomper - AGR, power assist. I am told the breakage was caused by the strain of the two systems on the pump. Made for an interesting afternoon getting the rig out to the trailer.

The problem, besides losing the pump, is one that many people seem to be having with this same setup. When applying the brakes, you lose the ability to steer the vehicle. I modified the stock pump, and it did help a little. Funds being limited I was thinking of doing a dual pump setup, this is proving to be difficult, I am running a AMC 360 , very limited on space to mount the pumps.

I was going to purchase the high flow KRC setup, (3.7 gpm) but was told this will not help. Several people have told me to have the Hydro boost high flowed, others tell me it is not nessasary. I checked and it appears to be a very expensive modification.

Running a Lincohn Hydro-boost, I was wondering if the PS pump from the car (Has dual low pressue inlets ) would help. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

Sorry this post is so long.
mkozlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2205
I would also say to get your hydro boost unit ported for high flow. I run a Vanco high flow hydro boost with a 2" hydro assist ram and have zero steering fade issues while the brakes are on.

Are you running a power steering cooler? That may help some and it is a cheap and easy mod to try first.

And as far as the pump breaking I cant believe it is due to the added strain on the pump, something else would have caused it.

NMOffroad.com

Last edited by Brian1; 08-02-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1
I would also say to get your hydro boost unit ported for high flow. I run a Vanco high flow hydro boost with a 2" hydro assist ram and have zero steering fade issues while the brakes are on.

Are you running a power steering cooler? That may help some and it is a cheap and easy mod to try first.

And as far as the pump breaking I cant believe it is due to the added strain on the pump, something else would have caused it.
No power steering cooler, but I have a dual spin on filter setup plumbed into the low presure side coming out of the Steering box.

What kind of PS pump are you using?

I think you are correct, the high flow maybe the answer to correct my problem. Thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55849
Does anyone know if the Lincoln pump is a high output? What psi?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 32054
Send a message via AIM to VancoPBS
I charge 280.00 to rebuild and hi flow a hydroboost. If all else is good in your system this should solve your steering fade problem. Of course I hate Ford/Lincoln car hydroboosts with a passion.
South Gate, Ca 90280
800-256-6295
323-563-1588
VancoPBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55849
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancoPBS
I charge 280.00 to rebuild and hi flow a hydroboost. If all else is good in your system this should solve your steering fade problem. Of course I hate Ford/Lincoln car hydroboosts with a passion.
Why is that Van? there does not seem to be a lot of difference externally.

One more thing, do you sell a high output power steering pump? or would a stock pump moded out a bit be more than enough.

My Hydroboost will be heading out to you on Monday, thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 32054
Send a message via AIM to VancoPBS
Ford hydroboost uses 1 shaft cup (the cup that stops fluid from going into your cab), GM uses 2. The main shaft and shaft seal is considerably smaller then GM (read: less power). Then fittings are a PITA to get to convert it over to AN fittings. If you have the alumimun back housing they get oversized pretty fast. If you JY them you're getting 30 year old cores, after 15 years there's a huge chance the core will be unrebuildable.
South Gate, Ca 90280
800-256-6295
323-563-1588
VancoPBS is offline   Reply With Quote