Project White Cracker - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #251 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
I am selling the roll cage off of Project White Cracker 97-06 Jeep . Made of 1.75" .120 wall dom.

Cage is 100% complete with seat belt attachments front and rear, never been rolled or floped. Designed to fit with factory hard top. In perfect condition.

Will not ship the item, local pick up only. located in Portland Oregon

$1,000
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Swag Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 121037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag Off Road View Post
I am selling the roll cage off of Project White Cracker 97-06 Jeep . Made of 1.75" .120 wall dom.

Cage is 100% complete with seat belt attachments front and rear, never been rolled or floped. Designed to fit with factory hard top. In perfect condition.

Will not ship the item, local pick up only. located in Portland Oregon

$1,000
Planning on something new? Or just need the cash? It's a sweet cage though
513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #253 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by 513 View Post
Planning on something new? Or just need the cash? It's a sweet cage though
I want to skin the top with aluminum, I will build the next one with a flat roof.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 6054
my cage is setup with a top somewhat like that, it wasnt all that hard to skin and it came out way sicker than a flat roof, Ill pull it outside this weekend and snap a couple pics if you want
Ben Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #255 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
So, I had a guy track me down to build him a front bumper for his 2005 Jeep TJ. He said I want the same bumper stinger combination you have on your Jeep. I have been toying around with building a new front bumper with a better approach and try to shed off a few pounds from my Jeep. Now what I had a buyer it was time to brain storm for a new design.

Out came the cut off wheel and plasma, did a bumper transplant to this Green TJ, which left the front of my Jeep naked.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #256 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
I wanted to use a piece of rolled tubing since I had a tubing roller and nothing rolled on my Jeep, and bring the winch in close to the grill and have the ability to run the winch line directly to the axle. I attached the winch directly to the tubing and did away with the ¼’ plate that use to run from frame rail to frame rail. I now have full access to the bottom of the winch drum.

I had to chop away the bottom portion of the grill to gain clearance for some 1.5” tube. I ended up supporting the grill by welding some tabs to my coilover shock hoops and used preexisting tapped holes in the back of the grill for support. The bracket shown below is used to support the bottom of the Tranny cooler.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #257 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Used the ever loving piss out of my Portaband mount, I drilled a counter sunk hole in the plate and tapped my work bench to free up the bench vise. This mounting plate was also used to construct the clevis mounting point.

I also did away with the aluminum fairlead, not for weight savings but rather I can now snake my winch line through the front and directly down to the axle.

All and all I am happy with the way it turned out, It is still missing something I may add a grill hoop to down the road or build some new tube fenders and tie them into the front bumper.

Nothing like building something new to show you how ragged everything else on the Jeep looks. Ohh well now it is time to get the rig ready to take it down to KOH
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #258 (permalink)

Member # 124976
great rig, you did it perfectly IMO....
you welds are flawless

one more reason to be proud of oregon....

Last edited by rhess1488; 01-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
rhess1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #259 (permalink)

Member # 73680
is that .120 wall tube and did you use the HF roll bender....i just bought based on your tech article in the tools section...hope it works alright....
pipehitter155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #260 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipehitter155 View Post
is that .120 wall tube and did you use the HF roll bender....i just bought based on your tech article in the tools section...hope it works alright....
Rodger that, 1.50" .120 HREW with the HF tube roller.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 29332
Do you have any trail clearance issues (hitting rocks etc) with the pitman arm and drag sticking out there exposed like that? I'm probably going to go to a reverse rotation box like this one but instead of moving/rotating the steering box I was going to see if I can have a custom pitman arm built. Instead of a pitman arm with a drop I'd like one with rise. For anyone who has NOT seen a reverse rotation box mounted with a flat scout pitman arm this probably will make no sense whatsoever. Anyone that's seen a set-up like yours will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Who makes 'custom' pitman arms?

84 CJ "Tripod" One ton 60/14b, 5.0 HO, 331:1 crawl, 39.5 Iroks...just the basics
97 TJ - 35's, 4:1, HP D30/8.8 and too much lift - the wife's daily driver
02 TJ - Under the knife-gettin' 60/14, w/40's
02 F350 - The grocery-getter
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #262 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Do you have any trail clearance issues (hitting rocks etc) with the pitman arm and drag sticking out there exposed like that? I'm probably going to go to a reverse rotation box like this one but instead of moving/rotating the steering box I was going to see if I can have a custom pitman arm built. Instead of a pitman arm with a drop I'd like one with rise. For anyone who has NOT seen a reverse rotation box mounted with a flat scout pitman arm this probably will make no sense whatsoever. Anyone that's seen a set-up like yours will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Who makes 'custom' pitman arms?
To date I have never hit my pitman arm, with the old bumper it was better protected that it is now. What I have is a reverse rotation PS box from PSC. I rotated the box up and back a couple inches to keep the pitman arm up out of harms way.

I walked the wrecking yard isle of pitman arms and found what I was looking for, something relatively flat with the correct spline count. You could always cut out the splined portion and flip it around then reweld it so your pitman arm will point up instead of point down. Custom pitman arm would be a waste of $ all you need is the splined portion and a big old chunk of iron to make a custom one.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 29332
Cut and flip the spline...that is an idea I had not considered. Thanks!

84 CJ "Tripod" One ton 60/14b, 5.0 HO, 331:1 crawl, 39.5 Iroks...just the basics
97 TJ - 35's, 4:1, HP D30/8.8 and too much lift - the wife's daily driver
02 TJ - Under the knife-gettin' 60/14, w/40's
02 F350 - The grocery-getter
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #264 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
I took the Jeep down to KOH, wheeled it for a week straight, ran every trail at JV then drove it to work on Monday.

I did however learn a few things.

Lesson 1) those nice overbuilt tube fenders we like to run are only as good as the factory sheet metal tub we bolt them too. I have a 1.5” ripple here the cowl meets the flat sheet metal. I barely bumped a rock on the outer edge of the fender, didn’t think much of it, lost a few chunks of paint but it transferred the energy back into the tub.

Lesson 2) High steer arms, In addition to the 4 studs provided in the kit it is a good ideal to weld the high steer arm to the knuckle, or you might end up like my friend Cory. If you have the style similar to BTF design you can do so and still have access to the kingpin.

Lesson 3) Make sure your ring gear is locktited to the carrier, and your carrier bolts are tight. My ring and pinion held up but the carrier took one for team. A new ARB will be installed this week.

Lesson 4) A ½” grade 8 bolt in single shear is not strong enough for a limiting strap. It sheared the bolt clean off.

All and all I had a blast; I will definitely go back next year for KOH 2010.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #265 (permalink)

Member # 42146
Send a message via AIM to snowdemon Send a message via MSN to snowdemon Send a message via Yahoo to snowdemon
So where are the rest of the pictures from the trip?

btw the jeep looks really good

Last edited by snowdemon; 03-20-2009 at 01:55 PM.
snowdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 47428
love the design of it.

question about your draglink and panhard being non parallel. do you have bump steer on the road with it?

I raised my vehicle to get more uptravel and with a panhard and draglink not being the same length; the angle between the two looks identical to yours now.

thanks,

87 Tintop cut to shit Low Rider, 4.3 TBI, 700R, 203/205 Doubler, Dana 44 HD Front, Dana 60 FF Rear, DOM Cage, Front & Rear 3 Link on Coils, 37 Xterrains

[CENTER][COLOR="Black"]eccentric r/c - Everything R/C for less - Free Shipping
eccentricrc.com[/COLOR][/CENTER]
roczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #267 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
It is all how you look at it, in the pictures it looks off, but if you bend down it looks correct?

These pictures are when I first finished the rig, however I have not changed a thing suspension or steering wise.

I do not get bump steer. However at KOH I ripped one of the small upper RE superflex cages in half off the axle. with only one upper and wore out bushings it rides like crap and the front end wonders a buch as the caster angle has ~10 degrees of movement

I am currently working on that this weekend.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #268 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdemon View Post
So where are the rest of the pictures from the trip?

btw the jeep looks really good
I know I am a month late, but here are a few pictures for KOH. I had a blast It was my first time there. I can honestely say that spending a week in the desert is like spending a month at the Rubicon or Moab. That terrain wil test every component you have and try to break the week link. Mine was my Ford factory limited slip. I have since swaped in an ARB.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #269 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
More pictures
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #270 (permalink)

Member # 130452
nice rig!
96zjalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #271 (permalink)

Member # 59810
Troy, I had no idea that you had a build thread here on Pirate. I spent the better part of a rainy afternoon trying to absorb all of it. Got your email about your site, Shot you an email on the change of my email address. Totally awesome build up!

Thanks for sharing!

Reed
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #272 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
A few more pictures from this past weekend, in Prineville Oregon.

Since the last post I have replaced the RE front uppers with a single full lenth 2" .25 wall DOM upper after one of the RE small superflex joints units broke at KOH. I also out boarded my rear shocks to get the bottom shock mounts out of the rocks.

Since I finished the build up of this Jeep I have put 23,000 miles on this thing and it keeps taking me to and from the trails in one piece. This past weekend I logged ~450 highway miles with the wife, dog and 10 month old boy

If anyone is intrested the cage is still for sale, $1,000.
Attached Images

Visit us on Facebook
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #273 (permalink)

Member # 79098
That trail looks sweet. My parents are moving to Prineville this summer, looks like I'll have to go visit them soon
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #274 (permalink)

Member # 42809
I think I met you while down in bend this weekend. I had the black YJ with the silver boatsides and cage.

[QUOTE=robbybobby;9644636]duh bro- momentium.....i have my own special technique- haul Mother F-ng balls at the hill till i am standing alone at the gawd danged top.....[/QUOTE]
muddy_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #275 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
wish you were closer. I would love that cage!
Bom-Tec Racing #4476
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote