Taking leaves out of my 4" SUA Pro Comp springs for SOA???? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2002, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9722
Taking leaves out of my 4" SUA Pro Comp springs for SOA????

Well, since I was too dumb to know better (before I got on Pirate4x4) i bought the 4" SUA kit for my YJ. Anyway, it doens't flex for crap and I want to do SOA. Since I'm kinda on a tight budget, I was thinking about taking leaves out of my 4" lift springs for my SOA, I would like to achieve an ideal height for 33s and a 4" spring plus SOA would put me at about 9"s plus I have a 1" body lift. So then I thought about taking leaves out of my lift spring. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any info on this? I'm trying to do as much research and planning as possible so I don't end up with somthing terrible..... again. Thanks for any replies.

Blake
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Why not just sell the 4 inch leafs with the trade to take the stockers off the guys rig you sold them to

Taking leaves out of a rearched pack is easy but I am not sure how they will hold up

And I hope the 33s is a typo because a SOA will fit 35s alone on a YJ
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2002, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3654
i agree. bad idea. the arched spring with leaves out of it will just sag out or break. thats a good idea to sell them and take the guys stockers.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8157
Send a message via AIM to nmujeepin
screw it use the 4 inch springs minus the very bottom short one and run 36-38's and have a kick ass rig....
Old 04-25-2002, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1617
Send a message via Yahoo to kidwired
I had 3.5 w/ a leaf removed (soa) I bent the shit out of em, and wrapped the rears.
now I have cj rears 2.5 w/ 1" shackles (soa) keith strong is using 3.5's I think and Rysyj just built his w/ RE 4.5 SOA.

throw some 38s on and GO!!!
(if youve got the axles for it)

Last edited by kidwired; 04-25-2002 at 06:07 PM.
kidwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8558
my .02 cents, i've broken 2 4inch procom lift springs on my yj. they start breaking and spitting out leaves until i break down and change them out. with less leaves i would expect them to do this quicker, with soa, also much quicker. use a better spring to start out with.
aaronlosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9487
I too purchased a set of these crappy springs two years ago. Last year I yanked them out, pulled them apart, wire wheeled the piss out of them, painted em with slip plate, then lined em with poly. This helped tremendously. I also added about 1.5" of lenght to my shackles. If you are not planning on updating your lift and you have a decent place to work on your rig, go for it. It was worth it for me! The better half even complimented on the ride afterward. Trail performance was great but not having to put up with the constant (this thing rides like shit) was even better!!! We ramped our rigs afterward and I made it just as far up as a buddy running 33's and a 4" BDS SUA.

Learning as we go, one post at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MillerMan; 04-25-2002 at 08:22 PM.
MillerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11459
you will be surprised how quickly the 4 inch springs start to sag after you wheel with a soa setup.try it and see.It will probably be a perfect setup after they break in after you do the soa.
todd kelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
Quote:
Originally posted by kidwired
I had 3.5 w/ a leaf removed (soa) I bent the shit out of em, and wrapped the rears.
now I have cj rears 2.5 w/ 1" shackles (soa) keith strong is using 3.5's I think and Rysyj just built his w/ RE 4.5 SOA.

throw some 38s on and GO!!!
(if youve got the axles for it)

I use 4 inch pro comps with 2 extra leaves in them

And you forgot to mention the wrap incident was driveway wheelin
Old 04-26-2002, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11459
yes axle wrap is a huge concern for spring over-ESPECIALLY IF YOU REMOVE LEAVES.If your going to drive hard witch is usually unavoidable offroad build yourself an anti wrap bar but do the research and do it right-theres alot of miths on what "should" work.t
Old 04-26-2002, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11390
Send a message via AIM to cams1021
I wonder if the 4" leaf problems hold true with the 2.5" leaves in a SOA. I assume so
cams1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11459
you dont have as much of a problem with a 2.5 if its a good stong set.they are manufactured with a vehicles weight in mind.when you remove springs they obviosly loose strength and thats where you get the wrap-more flex but less strength.the arch on the 4 inch is at constant flex when they sag cause they were intended to sit a certain way and flex when needed not all the time.Its often the kind if spring steel they use-some can take it some cant.t

Todd Kelch-1980 jeep CJ-7,Amc,360,t-18a,dana 20,Front& Rear Dana44's(4.88 gears/arb's)SpringOver,35"-Boggers/Swampers-sx's,beadlocks,6 Point Rollcage, Rancho RS9000's& Warn HS9500 Winch(ect.........................)
And of course SPRAY PAINT ORANGE!

Old 04-29-2002, 09:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9298
If you only plan to run 35" or less tires, sell the 4" springs and use stock YJ springs with an added mainleaf. If you still have your stock springs use them. Try your local junkyard for donor springs. CJ rear springs work too. So do front Wagoneer springs. Search for more information before you decide to go ahead with your SOA. There are lots of things to considder so that you will be happy with the results.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote