Anyone know anything about SpeedGlass? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 56715
Anyone know anything about SpeedGlass?

Hey guys,

The only reason I posted this here is because no one seems to know about this so I thought you guys might. If its in the wrong forum I will post it in the other one. I am thinking about using speedglass(lexan) for my 99' Jeep Wrangler 4.0, its a daily driver and im tired of replacing my window every 6 months. I know that speedglass isnt dot approved and im ok with that. Are any of you running it in your rig right now, or know of someone with it? And if so how well does it work, does it leak, does it scratch and how hard was it to install? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Brannon
Brannon132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6052
I know some early bronco guys run it. Only negative thing I’ve heard was that it tends to create a lot of “static cling” like when you pull your cloths out of the dryer. This causes an accumulation of dust. Especially on the inside.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16052
I bought it from a wholesale plastics business, bought enough to cut out a tj windshield for 90$. Make sure you get the lexan with the MR10 coating, easy to cut and easy to mount. The hardest part was getting the glass out and cleaning up the frame. I just drilled and mounted with stainless nuts and screws, used double sided tape for between the lexan and frame. Mine is trail only, but its been hit hard with rocks and limbs, no scratches or cracks. I bought 1/4 inch, which I've been told was way overkill. Been on about 4 or 5 years, zero problems. This is the same material as speed glass. If you could use a rubber gasket, like on the older jeeps, would be almost impossible to tell the difference between glass or lexan.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42791
After breaking 3 winshields in 2 months I put 1 in my scrambler. It's been in there 2 years now and has held up fine to driving on the road. It has a few scratches but no worst then glass and I don't have to worry about breaking it.
cj8berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
http://www.percyshp.com/speedglass_p...lass_home.html
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 39627
I was always curious about how it breaks. Does it break like safty glass, or does it break in to sharp shardes of plastic???
Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 56715
Well guys thanks a ton for the info. I think i am leaning towards that vs regular glass. If anyone else has any information it owuld be greatly appreciated. Hey Cj8 how has it held up to the windshield wipers?

Thanks, Brannon
Old 09-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsport
I was always curious about how it breaks. Does it break like safty glass, or does it break in to sharp shardes of plastic???
It does not break... it just deforms, you can bend it like steel in a break...
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4321
Send a message via ICQ to DEnd Send a message via AIM to DEnd Send a message via MSN to DEnd Send a message via Yahoo to DEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsport
Large Shards... but good luck breaking it. It being so difficult to break, the way it does break, as well as it's reputation for scratching easily is why it doesn't meet DOT regulations, from what I understand...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannon132
Well guys thanks a ton for the info. I think i am leaning towards that vs regular glass. If anyone else has any information it owuld be greatly appreciated. Hey Cj8 how has it held up to the windshield wipers?

Thanks, Brannon
It's held up fine to windshieldwipers, I probably have 300miles on it in the rain and there are no scratches from the wipers.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 56715
Hey CJ8 how hard was installation did you do rivits or adhiesive or just the gasket? And do you know anyone who has put it in thier tj???? And thanks again for all the great info.
Brannon
Old 09-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 68171
It’s illegal to use on the street by DOT standards. Because it’s almost imposable to break, rescue workers can’t get through it…

Last edited by Knuckelhead; 09-26-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 56715
Any tricks for getting the old glass out without breaking it? Any any tricks with getting the speedglass in? Should i just use window adhesive so secure the speedglass or use both the gasket and the adhesive. Any info for either question would be great.

Thanks, Brannon
Old 09-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 42791
When I put mine in my scrambler I installed it just like the regular windshield with the rubber gasket. I would think that to put it in a tj that it can be glued in just like the stock one. I know that it is not dot approved, but with the inspection sticker on the windshield it looks just like a normal piece of glass.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 56715
Does anyone know of where a write-up is on replacing a tj windshield? Thanks, Brannon
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by papastoy
I bought it from a wholesale plastics business, bought enough to cut out a tj windshield for 90$. Make sure you get the lexan with the MR10 coating, easy to cut and easy to mount. I bought 1/4 inch, which I've been told was way overkill. Been on about 4 or 5 years, zero problems.
What is the MR10 coating? Is that a UV coating or scratch coating? Make sure if you buy a sheet of lexan it has UV protection, otherwise the sun will destroy it. I would think a gasket or pop rivets would be enough. I may try this on my XJ but need to find a way to get the same shape as the XJ windshield.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote