comparing WAGGY springs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2002, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3964
comparing WAGGY springs

i spent about a hour in the treasure yard today. i compared about 15 different waggies and found them ALL to be different. different FRONT spring lenghts, offsets, # of leafs, size of leafs, etc, etc.

the lengths ranged from 44.5ish" to 46ish" (maybe 46.5")measured from middle of bolt to middle of bolt.
- i thought they were supposed to be 47"

the packs ranged anywhere from 2 leafs to 7. i found two diffferent kinds of 7 leaf packs. one had smaller, almost 1/4" leafs (maybe smaller) and another had closer to 3/8" or bigger. the two packs were NOTICABLY different.
-i had know idea there was so many different packs to choose from. i though a 7 leaf waggy pack was a 7 leaf waggy pack

not all the packs had offsets, particulary the narrower leaf packs. the most offset i found was a little more than 1". maybe 1.5".
-from what i've read on here, i though all the waggy's had a 2" offset center pin

what EXACTLY is everybody running. this isn't exactly as straight foward as i've been told. i did not find two identical packs in the whole yard. can somebody please help!

thanks- russel
76 CJ7 project- complete change in plans..........2 years in the making and it don't even roll yet.......

Last edited by olivesman; 05-13-2002 at 05:10 PM.
olivesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2119
I think if you want consistancy in the packs without adjustment with shackles you should buy new springs. Alot of the differences you listed will disappear when the spring is loaded. Spring steel is not like mild steel and with age the level of unloaded arch is different between two different rigs. I know there are alot of different ones and the ones I have are the thick leaf 7pack and the thin leaf 7pack. I run the thick leaf up front since it has less arch and the thin leaf out back with a bigger arch and more flex on my YJ. All I can say is use the 7leafs for 3in lift taller than a stock spring over flat spring(wrangler) and a 6leaf or 5leaf for 1to 2in lift over stock flat spring over. Stay clear of any 4leaf or less for I have heard they break. Hope that helps you.Here is a pic of mine with no drivetrain. The front springs will flatten out with 500 pounds or more of drivetrain.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2002, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
There are about 5 different spring packs in the front end alone over time that have been wandered across.......

The most desirable is the 7 leaf pack, using the thin leafs. still.. you may need to add a ad-a-leaf in the pack.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2095
From what I understand, the pin measures 22.5" & 24.5" from the ends. That's only a 1" offset, but a stock spring is 22.5" on both ends, so it will move the axle 2" if you put the long end @ the solid mount. It does'nt seem like it would work if you have a shckle reversal on the front.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Re: comparing WAGGY springs

Quote:
Originally posted by olivesman
i spent about a hour in the treasure yard today. i compared about 15 different waggies and found them ALL to be different. different FRONT spring lenghts, offsets, # of leafs, size of leafs, etc, etc.

the lengths ranged from 44.5ish" to 46ish" (maybe 46.5")measured from middle of bolt to middle of bolt.
- i thought they were supposed to be 47"
You gotta remember where you were looking. Not a single vehicle in the junkyard has had the same life as another. Some springs have seen more miles, weight, harsh driving, etc. than others. As a spring wears it flattens. As it flattens it gets longer. There is the biggest reason you see for the lenght differences with any given leaf packs with the same number/type of leaves. Mine are 44-5/8" eye to eye unsprung. Also, the quote that I seem to remember of 47" is the 44044 Rancho lift springs, not the stock Waggie/Cherokee springs. Somehow in all of the talk about these springs it has become accepted that all of them are 47".
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9298
When you measure the length of a leaf spring you are suposed to measure along the arc of the main leaf. If you measure in a straight line from eye to eye it will be shorter. All the waggy springs 'should' be 47" (22.5/24.5). For a spring over, the 7 leaf packs are suposed to be the best.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote