brake problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 74903
brake problem

Ok here is the problem I have. The axle in the front of my jeep is a 76 f150 d44 hp. The knuckles are ford d44 knuckles (or thats what I was told). I bought them off of ebay and I cant get ahold of the guy to verify a year on them. Anyways I bought the calipers that the part stor listed for a 76 f150 4x4.. Problem is they dont fit right....in the pictures you can see they dont slide all the way on, because the housing that holds the piston hits the sterring knuckle.....I took pictures of both calipers on the same knuckle so know one can say you have them on wrong. There are some numbers cast on the knuckles...the one in the pic is:

R

So can anyone help me identify the knuckles?
tikitgvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Those look like F-250 knuckles and backing plates although you didn't really show the top or backside. F250s are meant for 8-lug IIRC which means they would require a bigger rotor than the 5 on 5.5" Bronco / F150 rotor. They should also take a dual piston caliper IIRC.

That would be my guess. Maybe check out Mr. N's page for more info.

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 74903
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
Those look like F-250 knuckles and backing plates although you didn't really show the top or backside. F250s are meant for 8-lug IIRC which means they would require a bigger rotor than the 5 on 5.5" Bronco / F150 rotor. They should also take a dual piston caliper IIRC.

That would be my guess. Maybe check out Mr. N's page for more info.
Yes they are 250 knuckles......They are listing different rotors for the 250, but it calls for the same calipers as I have now, so I am trying to locate some 250 caliper brackets....and yes Mr. N's page is where I found the info....
Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
No Gates in ENF!

Member # 6867
I been down this same road before on a buds Jeep. those are F-250 knucks and youre hosed AFAIK.

Eric
urjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitgvr View Post
Yes they are 250 knuckles......They are listing different rotors for the 250, but it calls for the same calipers as I have now, so I am trying to locate some 250 caliper brackets....and yes Mr. N's page is where I found the info....
Even if you find the 250 caliper brackets, I believe they will interfere with your wheels unless you are 16.5" or larger. The calipers are the same part#, but the rotors are larger. You need to either plan to go to 17" wheels (unless you are already) or find some 1/2 ton knuckles.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 74903
Damn...cant go bigger wheels, I have 15" beadlocks right now( they are brand new).....I figured it would be a PITA and was wondering if they would interfere with the wheels.....Well I guess I will be going to 1/2 ton knuckles and selling these...

Last edited by tikitgvr; 02-15-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
You'll know the difference right away...the 1/2 ton version has a "moon" shaped cutout and one of the spindle studs drives in from the outside of the knuckle.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 74903
Ok I am going to go with 73-76.5 chevy flattop knuckles and spindles.. Question though...I have researched it and it says you need to also get the stub shaft..ok no problem...but then it says you can use ford rotors on those small bearing spindles....well if you can use ford rotors on the spindles, why wont the ford stub axle work?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
As I recall, you can use the knuckles, small spindles, caliper brackets, and calipers from the chevy (like 72 to 76?) with the rotors, hubs, stubs, and lockouts from the ford, if they are half ton (76 to 86 F150).

N6YBH
-