T18a/dana 300 in XJ Cherokee? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83814
T18a/dana 300 in XJ Cherokee?

I posted the forwarded in the Jeep newbie area because, as you can see by my join date, I have not been a paying member for long, and my question is borderline hardcore tech, but maybe a little more on the not-hardcore. But I get to cut holes and/or pound new spaces in my floor, and that counts for something, right? Replies are slim over there, so I want to take it up a notch.
As mentioned, I have searched for this using as many word combinations I could think of and have had no good hits. If someone has a thread link of where this has been discussed before, could you please post it? Go-time is right around the corner and there is enough experience around here to turn a camel into an IROK champ. Any advice/links are very appreciated.

Thanks

Member Number: 83814

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a 76 cherokee for many years with a 258 (actually bored to about 275 when doing the 4.0 head swap), t18a (6.32 1st gear), scout dana 300 ("Texas" bolt pattern) with a 4:1 tera low kit, dana 44s front and rear with ARBs. Absolutely awesome set up IMO (at least for my needs). Unfortunately, the engine took a dump, and while it is fixable, the 20+ years (passed down to me from pops) of Moab has twisted every piece of it to breaking point and it is time to retire it.
I picked up a 1999 XJ and want to put the whole drive train from the '76 into it. Keeping the 4.0, but swapping everything from the tranny to the tires.
Has anyone done this before? I have been searching for a long time, but "T18" and "XJ" are too common or short to be searchable and all other possible words have netted me few results. Can anyone offer some advice on things to look out for? The differential in the front is swapping sides, the inside will need some molding to accomodate the 300 sticking out the opposite side, the front dana 44 has drum brakes (it's true!) that I will be changing to discs, an external slave for the clutch is aquired...
From what I have found so far, since this T18a is coming off a 258, it should pretty much bolt up to the 4.0...or will it? This huge swap will be happening at the same time as a lift kit installation and all the bracketry needed on the axles is going to be the cake part.

Any advice, experience, or pictures would be very appreciated.
While the t18a and the whole drive train may not be the most street friendly in the world, it is all free, and that beats the crap out of the AX15/Atlas 5:1/ford 9 f&r/4:10/new ARB line up I would do instead if I had a money tree.

Thanks a bunch!
Floydargue is offline   Reply With Quote