XJ D30 Build Questions on strength - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67169
XJ D30 Build Questions on strength

Buddy of mine is building up a D30 axle for the front of his BroncoII.

He was able to pick up a YJ D30 with the CAD, but this axle had the Warn manual hub lockout kit installed. He wants to keep the 5 on 4.5 pattern. So it was a big plus. But after tearing it down it was found to have the small Joints, not the big joint 30.

Now he has found an XJ housing without the CAD that he plans to use along with a 1 piece inner longside. He is going to strip the brackets off this one and mount leaf perches for a leaf conversion. And swap over the manual hub kit. He's also found an ARB for this axle.

He wants this axle to survive 33" tires. We do moderate rock/wooded trails. Nothing overly extreme.

For U-Joints he is now talking going with a CTM rebuildable super joint. Thus he hopes the inner axle shafts will be his fuse. Is this really a good Idea? And is this where he is going to have problems?

He also plans to truss the top of the axle between the leaf purches.

Is this a good way to go or should he have a fuse elswhere?

We are penny pinchers so highdollar items and not wanted. He's got $300 invested between the 2 axles, ARB was given to him, Gears are going to run him another $200 installed. The the CTM's are going to be another $150.

I'd hate to see him get all this stuff together and break an inner, having it slam into the housing, destroy his ARB/gears.

I keep telling him to run it with the stock Joints and see what happens, but he doesn't want to have a Joint take out the Warn Chomy outers, as they are $$$$ to replace.

The big thing is this is his DD/weekend Wheeler.

Help me out here guys how would you build the D30 on a short budget, and be able to get him home.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25551
Send a message via AIM to vintagespeed Send a message via Yahoo to vintagespeed
Instead of buying CTMs and running stock shafts (not a good idea ), get a set of Warn or AlloyUSA inners & run 297s.

Btw, the 5x4.5 hub conversion from Warn comes with outers and I dont think they make a 260 ujoint outer......so he got fawked on the hub conversion part.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67169
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
Btw, the 5x4.5 hub conversion from Warn comes with outers and I dont think they make a 260 ujoint outer......so he got fawked on the hub conversion part.

What do you mean by that? I'm by all means not a Jeep guy but I thought that the 260's were the small Joint and the 297's were the big joint?

http://www.warn.com/truck/axles/conv...wer_jeep.shtml
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43636
Instead of cutting the buckets and welding perches, why not just put the non-CAD shafts in the YJ housing? Yukon sells a kit to do this for pretty cheap, and I think you can even do it with OEM parts if you know the correct seal numbers.

Help me understand the Warn hub kit. I know what it is, but doesn't it require the use of Warn outers? If so, he's going to have to buy new Warn outers to match the 297 joint.

If it were me I'd just run OEM non-CAD shafts in the YJ housing with 297 Spicer joints. That's what I run with a lockright and 35s in the woods and rock here in the midwest. Of course I have the almighty 2.5L, so my propensity of breakage might be lower.
TommyGp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGp View Post
Instead of cutting the buckets and welding perches, why not just put the non-CAD shafts in the YJ housing? Yukon sells a kit to do this for pretty cheap, and I think you can even do it with OEM parts if you know the correct seal numbers.

Help me understand the Warn hub kit. I know what it is, but doesn't it require the use of Warn outers? If so, he's going to have to buy new Warn outers to match the 297 joint.

If it were me I'd just run OEM non-CAD shafts in the YJ housing with 297 Spicer joints. That's what I run with a lockright and 35s in the woods and rock here in the midwest. Of course I have the almighty 2.5L, so my propensity of breakage might be lower.
He thinks he may have found an long side inner 1 piece for the 260 Joint.

The hub conversion he got was a complete kit on an fully assembled YJ axle. He has everything including the Warn outers.

He want to build this axle so that the week link is the inner axles shafts so that he doesn't have to keep spending $$$$ on the warn outers every time he destroys a joint. I agree he got jipped on the small joint axle but I still think he will be fine with it.

Ya a 2.5L is a small compared to what he has by a factor or 2. Yes his is also running a 302 with C4. And your right this will not help his situation out at all.

Last edited by Joel H; 05-24-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Joel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43636
His 302 is going to shred a 260 in no time. I ran the 260 until I put in the lockright. I immediately trashed a brand new Spicer 260 joint. Granted I have 35s, but I was not beating on it. Taking a 3-point turn to enter a ravine meant I had to reverse uphill with most of the pressure on the right front tire. It only took once.

I still think he'd be better off to sell the Warn stuff and XJ housing to fund a set of 297 shafts and new unit bearings. The XJ housing is an upgrade for TJ guys (they are low-pinion), and there are bound to be some YJ guys out there interested in the Warn hub kit.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 43636
Just thought of something...Can you even get a 260 CTM? I thought they only made D44 (297) and D60 joints.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Send a message via AIM to Xjcrawler736
Quote:
Just thought of something...Can you even get a 260 CTM? I thought they only made D44 (297) and D60 joints.
I have only seen D44 and D60 CTMS

http://www.ctmracing.com/storefront/2

+++++ Route 63 Motorsports CJ7 FOR SALE +++++

Ultra4 #4343 Co-driver - Molten Motorsports
Xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 82057
Quote:

Stock TJ D30 shafts (big joint) and chicago rawhide part number 11800 will convert the CAD to non-disconnect
Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
I have a Yukon super 30 chromo set

I have only one Dana 30 16.6" 30spline EXTRA HD INNER 84-90XJor97 & upTJ/WringLR Left hand.
Goes for $120.00 I will sell it to you for $75.00 brand new never installed.

Let me know
Located in Chico
84rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rotten Sperm

Member # 63386
Why are you so hooked on using a centeral air disconnect housing? I could have sworn it was weaker than the strait tube one
Nordic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 43636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic1 View Post
Why are you so hooked on using a centeral air disconnect housing? I could have sworn it was weaker than the strait tube one
If you mean me...then I'm not necessarily hooked on it, but it seems like a lot of work to cut off the buckets and mount perches for a marginal gain in strength. After all, it's still a D30.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 67169
Quote:
If you mean me...then I'm not necessarily hooked on it, but it seems like a lot of work to cut off the buckets and mount perches for a marginal gain in strength. After all, it's still a D30.
He's already cut the brackets off. The reason he wanted the XJ housing is for the high pinion.

SO what you guys are saying is that a 302 pushing a locked 260 joint D30 is going to go.....
Old 05-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 43636
I just reread your post, and I take back everything I said about CAD and cutting crap off. Since my world revolves around a YJ, I thought you were talking about a YJ. I suffer from cranial-rectal inversion, sorry for the confusion.

A 260 still won't hold up though.

Last edited by TommyGp; 05-24-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
At the very least, I'de rather my fuse be an outer, not an inner.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote