Well this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TheRiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member # 156230
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 330
Wayne,

Getting ready to put new gears in a 14 bolt. I know they have adjustment collars on both sides of the carrier vs. the typical shims used on a dana 60. What are your tricks for the 14 bolt vs. a dana 60 rear end? Also, I got a solid machined sleeve from East Coast Gear Supply to use with shims instead of the crush sleeve as they said this is a better way to go as there is more possibility for error with the crush sleeve. Anyway, I'm actually going to have an off-road fab mechanic buddy of mine set the gears up for me while I watch for some education, but just wondered what your tips/tricks are for the 14 bolt so I can check for them while he does the setup. Also, is a case spreader necessary for the 14 bolt gear install? Thanks Wayne.
__________________
'92 YJ, 4.6 stroker, AW4, dana 300 w/4:1, 60's, 5.38's, detroits, 105" wb, 40" MT/R's, KMC Beadlocks
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #77 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
waynehartwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 35700
Location: Mead, WA
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Wayne,

Getting ready to put new gears in a 14 bolt. I know they have adjustment collars on both sides of the carrier vs. the typical shims used on a dana 60. What are your tricks for the 14 bolt vs. a dana 60 rear end? Also, I got a solid machined sleeve from East Coast Gear Supply to use with shims instead of the crush sleeve as they said this is a better way to go as there is more possibility for error with the crush sleeve. Anyway, I'm actually going to have an off-road fab mechanic buddy of mine set the gears up for me while I watch for some education, but just wondered what your tips/tricks are for the 14 bolt so I can check for them while he does the setup. Also, is a case spreader necessary for the 14 bolt gear install? Thanks Wayne.
Carrier preload is your friend - ie use lots. If he does the side adjusters with a screw driver, it's not enough.

No spreader

Spacer is better than crush sleeve
__________________
Hartwig Motorsports 4516, Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Good Seller/Buyer List!
www.150Tunes.com
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 127171
Location: Humble,Tx
Posts: 2,723
Going to do this to mine soon. What do you suggest using instead of a screwdriver?
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #79 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
waynehartwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 35700
Location: Mead, WA
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Going to do this to mine soon. What do you suggest using instead of a screwdriver?
Side adjuster tool of course
http://www.toolsource.com/wrench-dif...-p-111873.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav..._bible/14b.pdf


Screw driver can ruin the side adjuster and/or you can't get the correct preload. The 14bolt is kind of tough, because there is no real good method, like there is for the Ford 9" or Toyota 8" or the....
__________________
Hartwig Motorsports 4516, Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Good Seller/Buyer List!
www.150Tunes.com
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered User
 
wildman4x4nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 21893
Location: Cle Elum, WA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
4 years later... How's things going? Still have the Jeep? Put that 5.9 in it yet?
Wayne,
4 years sure seems like a long time. The Jeep has been sitting for the past two years because I got tired of fighting the damn overheating engine. Well and my selfmade Hummer rims BROKE..........................................
So I have my fingers crossed that in the next month or so I will have the funds I need to finally build that 5.9 and fix all the little stuff wrong with the Jeep. So far the rear axle is still working great and no issues.

I haven't been around on any of the forums lately for a lot of reasons. Some due to shit from Iraq and others because it is hard to be on here when my junk is broke and I am broke and can't fix my junk.

Thanks again,
Rick
__________________
TJ Builds:[url]www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578353[/url]
I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #81 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
waynehartwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 35700
Location: Mead, WA
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Wayne,
4 years sure seems like a long time. The Jeep has been sitting for the past two years because I got tired of fighting the damn overheating engine. Well and my selfmade Hummer rims BROKE..........................................
So I have my fingers crossed that in the next month or so I will have the funds I need to finally build that 5.9 and fix all the little stuff wrong with the Jeep. So far the rear axle is still working great and no issues.

I haven't been around on any of the forums lately for a lot of reasons. Some due to shit from Iraq and others because it is hard to be on here when my junk is broke and I am broke and can't fix my junk.

Thanks again,
Rick
Sorry to hear that! That sucks!! Here's to hoping the new motor fixes everything
__________________
Hartwig Motorsports 4516, Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Good Seller/Buyer List!
www.150Tunes.com
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #82 (permalink)
FroBot
 
AgitatedPancake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 42341
Location: Sac, CA
Posts: 2,242
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
Sucks to hear that the project is on hold, but Wayne I have to give ya a huge thanks for the wealth of information you've put into this thread about gear setups. I've been doing my own and for friends for a couple years now, it's not too often you get detailed personal opinions from experienced pros
__________________
Frobot Fabrication

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #83 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
waynehartwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 35700
Location: Mead, WA
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Sucks to hear that the project is on hold, but Wayne I have to give ya a huge thanks for the wealth of information you've put into this thread about gear setups. I've been doing my own and for friends for a couple years now, it's not too often you get detailed personal opinions from experienced pros
Thanks!
__________________
Hartwig Motorsports 4516, Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Good Seller/Buyer List!
www.150Tunes.com
www.DiffsOnly.com
www.Jeeperman.com
10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

2013 - Trail Gear Western Series Regional Champion
2013 - Smittybilt EMC Series National Champion

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, AllTech Motorsports, A1 Performance Transmissions and Converters, Randy's Racing Transmissions, PRP Seats, Reid Racing, Radflo, CBR Performance, Trail Gear, RuffStuff Specialties, LifeTime LED Lights, Rugged Race Radios, DynoMAX, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.