Tera 60R what's the scoop - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2002, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10125
Tera 60R what's the scoop

I am thinking about buying rear Tera 60R for my Scrambler. What have you heard about them? The price seems good for what they say I am getting. I destroyed my 9" last weekend, want something that will last awhile.
Radical Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
I don't suppose you've tried looking here, have you?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2002, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 7921
I know two guys that had tera 60s in the rear of their rigs. They both seized on the hwy. I guess they have or had a lubrication problem. This happened the them about a year ago, maybe there was a problem then and its fixed now?
Old 06-20-2002, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7954
Send a message via AIM to CHOKEu
I put mine under my JUNK last March(2001)... I drive it 40 miles a day, everyday. To make a long story shot; this is my only ride.

No problems, or maybe I'm doing somthing wrong if it hasn't seized up yet???

TJ-60's-ATLAS-37's-104" wb- Full Hydro-Turtle Wax
Vertical- up seperates the "Welders" from the Rodburners"; welding out of position, in restriction, on pipe, with a mirror, seperates "YOU" from the "Welders"!

MY JUNK- [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/nicrfe[/url]
CHOKEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3906
Send a message via AIM to Jeepmangled87
If you got the money buy one, If not go 14 bolt, or build your own 60, Its gonna be way cheaper.
Jeepmangled87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1611
I think they are nice for a swb Jeep, where drive line angles are more critical. You have at least 10 more inches of driveshaft than I do, and I don't think it is a wise investment for what is saved on the high angle. With your longer wheelbase and the increased strength of a standard cut gear in the rear, I would go with a junk yard 60 or 14 bolt.
dorfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5718
Send a message via AIM to rockmutt
if you arent goin to drive it on the HWY (if your smart) go for it, buy two while your at it, but if you do drive it on the street, which you should'nt with a trail rig, have CURRIE make you a High 9",
how didyou desstroy youy old 9", are you sure there was oil in it???.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
i built my own version of the pro rock dyna tack unit - nice to have a mill and a little time- but the tera unit i'd stay away from it - i'd go with dana 60 full floater diff- and maybe 35 spline axles- if you not running a 40" tire or bigger - the spindles get a bit weaker on huge tire rigs - i'd check out a few other options before i spend 4,000$ ona tera unit- Jess
Old 06-20-2002, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5718
Send a message via AIM to rockmutt
if it is good enough for the Comp. rock crawlers, it should be good enough for a weekend warrior
Old 06-20-2002, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7847
Quote:
Originally posted by jp junkie
I know two guys that had tera 60s in the rear of their rigs. They both seized on the hwy. I guess they have or had a lubrication problem. This happened the them about a year ago, maybe there was a problem then and its fixed now?
One thing I found out the hardway is that they are sensitive to pinion angles in excess of ~11 degrees. There is a fix, although I'm not sure it's available to the general public (yet). First thing, if you run it with 12 (I'm pretty sure 12 is the threshhold) degrees or more, you're suppose to re-drill the fill plug about 2 inches higher than normal. This way you can get more oil in there to keep the pinion bearing lubed. There is also a whole new diff cover coming out with a new oil slinger built in that will help keep the lube goin' with higher angle pinions.

One easy way to check your diff to be safe is to check the temp of the pumpkin near the yoke from time to time after you get the rear end set-up. If the temp is crazy hot then you're not getting the lube you need where you need it. If you catch it early enough it will be as simple as replacing the pinion bearing and seal and re-setting your angle or doing the lube fix. If it seizes then it really gets fun. I had the leisure of watching my pinion get "un-seized" and it was quite the process. Luckily my housing was still OK. Since I got the new diff cover I haven't had any problems. I drove it down to Moab with no problems on the highway going about 65-80. I also ran trails where the top speed was about 5mph.

Just my .02

Mike

"Go Big or Go Home"
Mike_Lib is offline   Reply With Quote