turbo a 95 jeep yj 2.5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103622
Exclamation turbo a 95 jeep yj 2.5

i am trying to turbo my jeep

i got a holset turbo off of a cummins diesel engine

seral 1790459

assy 3525237

type h2d

all i want is 3-4 psi for some more torqe

i want to run it with no intercooler

run it thru the throttlebody

and make a exhaust manifold adapter

and make a oil line adapter

add a filter to the turbo

and exhaust down pipe

will it work?

this is how im going to do it

unless someone has a better i idea
dont feel like doing it then it not work
jth3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103560
hey git i think its a td4h tubro found on most mits and dodge cars and it should go on easy
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 70225
durrrr.......

Support our Sailors and Marines!
navymark08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43636
I researched this for a while back when I had my '94 2.5. I even bought the instructions for doing it off eBay for like $20 or something. FWIW, if you don't know much about turbos (I didn't) you need to consider lots of stuff. Turbo size (T3 is recommended) as well as fuel pressure and timing are important. There's too much to discuss and it's too late for me to tell all I understand about them. (still not much) If I hadn't bought a different rig, I would have eventually put a turbo on the YJ if for nothing else than grins.

I'd recommend buying the plan off eBay at least to gain some knowledge. In fact, if I still have it on my work computer I'd be happy to email it to you. Also do a search on Jeep Forum. There was a really long thread in the YJ section about turbos that is a decent read.
TommyGp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 43184
Friend of mine, who is a turbo guru walked me through a turbo setup on this exact engine yesterday. Im considering it on the wifes tj down the road.

Find a turbo from a motor close to the displacement of the 4.0

He said, get a junkrad header, and build it into a turbo inlet.

Mount the turbo, build a down pipe.

Run mustang 26lb/hr injectors

Snow performance meth injection

Should make and handle an easy 6lbs, and spool up on the low side.

Only things I didnt see you consider was the meth, and injectors. Otherwise, you are off to a good start.

Good luck, I'd really like to see you get it done and post it up here.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 96130
Your YJ computer will most likely need a re-calibrated MAP signal. Try a Split Second PSC-1, cheap and easy to work with.

The bigger injectors are a must, unless you want to rely on a methanol injection setup for your tune.

You will need some sort of thermal control, be it meth/water, cryo-spray, or an intercooler. Even at 3 - 4lbs boost.

I think BNINE meant find a junkyard OEM turbo from a vehicle that is close to 2.5L of displacement.
OEM turbos generally spool quite early, which is a bonus for a wheeling rig, and usually have an internal wastegate, which greatly aids in set-up.
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Bilstein Shock Absorbers [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]Rugged Race Radios[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]Gear Center Group [URL="http://www.gearcentregroup.com/"]http://www.gearcentregroup.com/[/URL][/COLOR]
YJ_and_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 96882
Hi, I am planning a turbo for my jeep sometime in the future. No i can say from experience as i have built many turbo cars in the past. It is alot more in depth than all of you are saying. Figuring with the added air its obvious you need more fuel so bigger injectors, pump and a good raising rate regulator and usually a good 1:1 regulator for setting base fuel pressure. The biggest thing you are going to want to make it any sort of reliable is a good form of monitering air/fuel ratios. A good wide-band O2 or a good pyrometer is a must. If you run low boost even and you dont have your mixtures right, you better be good at pulling motors apart. In most cases the stock ECU is useable if you can find a Missing Link that will work (Missing Link is basically a bypass that once you start to boost, the oneway valve closes and the map sensor just reads atmosphere). If not then you will need to reflash the ECU.

There is a book called Maximum Boost. It is a little old on technology but for most applications it is a very descriptive book and explains alot.

That was how i got started on my first setup and it lasted a good while till i boosted up and cracked a piston!
alcolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 96130
Quote:
Hi, I am planning a turbo for my jeep sometime in the future. No i can say from experience as i have built many turbo cars in the past. It is alot more in depth than all of you are saying. Figuring with the added air its obvious you need more fuel so bigger injectors, pump and a good raising rate regulator and usually a good 1:1 regulator for setting base fuel pressure. The biggest thing you are going to want to make it any sort of reliable is a good form of monitering air/fuel ratios. A good wide-band O2 or a good pyrometer is a must. If you run low boost even and you dont have your mixtures right, you better be good at pulling motors apart. In most cases the stock ECU is useable if you can find a Missing Link that will work (Missing Link is basically a bypass that once you start to boost, the oneway valve closes and the map sensor just reads atmosphere). If not then you will need to reflash the ECU.

There is a book called Maximum Boost. It is a little old on technology but for most applications it is a very descriptive book and explains alot.

That was how i got started on my first setup and it lasted a good while till i boosted up and cracked a piston!
The YJ's don't need fuel pump upgrades, this has been proven now. Larger injectors, and upgraded regulators do the job just fine.

A missing link is a good idea, but a re-calibrated MAP signal is a little more tuner friendly.

Maximum Boost is a good read. Some things I disagree on though - like the fact that he's not down with chemical intercooling.
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Bilstein Shock Absorbers [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]Rugged Race Radios[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]Gear Center Group [URL="http://www.gearcentregroup.com/"]http://www.gearcentregroup.com/[/URL][/COLOR]
YJ_and_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 96882
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_and_Corey View Post
The YJ's don't need fuel pump upgrades, this has been proven now. Larger injectors, and upgraded regulators do the job just fine.

A missing link is a good idea, but a re-calibrated MAP signal is a little more tuner friendly.

Maximum Boost is a good read. Some things I disagree on though - like the fact that he's not down with chemical intercooling.
I was unaware of that on the YJs. I have run both setups, missing link and the re-flash and they both work its really cost that differs. If you want budget, missing link is where its at, otherwise spend the money on the re-flash.

The whole intercooling thing is another thing that just is all based on useage, an air-to-air is not good in a crawler cause no air is moving. You also have the option of water to air intercooling, (thats what i plan on running) and then the chemical side. I mainly suggest the book to get a little familiar with what turbos to use and what fuel curves you will need.

I like the Chemical intercooling for the fact that it actually increases octane and cools that way. But then again, i dont like that fact that you need to refill it and it eliminates my reason for putting on a turbo to have power any time its needed, you run out and you can risk causing issues if you dont watch everything. That is as everything though.

I should stop. I can go on for days about turbo stuff. It fascinates me too much. Its just an all around good decision if its done right.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Check these guys out. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4bangers/ this has been just discussed. And the info on a turbo build is in their file section.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 99513
the book I bought and read is "Street Turbocharging"

I am also planning a turbo on my YJ 4.0 motor.

1. you can also buy a 2 bar MAP to replace the stock MAP.

2. Place the temp sensor before the intake of the turbo

3. Install a adjustable FPR.

4. I agree with the Ford 26 lb/hr inectors but you will only be able to get small amounts of power before fuel starvation begins

5. You only need an intercooler under boost pressures so a Air to Air should be ok. When you are Crawlin around you don't really need it. Besides, an intercooler only aids in more power and lower EGT's. So keep the boost below 5psi on your stock 4 cylinder and you should be good.

6. Just reroute your exhaust from your flange to the passenger side of the motor/fab up the bolt on mounts for the turbo/ reinforce to the block to carry the weight.

7. tap into your oil pressure sensor line to run oil to the turbo's CHRA.

8. Tap into the oil pan as high as you can for a return tube from the CHRA.

9. you need to find a way to regulate your boost via spring operated vacumn and run a boost guage

10. Run a EGT guage to make sure you don't destroy your engine

11. Go buy a book and read and study up. The book I read as stated above made me more then confident in starting a project like this on my rig. Its really not that hard. YOu need to do your reading and homework first

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971511[/url]

Last edited by jpfrk2001; 11-28-2007 at 11:50 AM.
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 35154

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=844148

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=863688
2pwrlftrs4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 103622
okay got a intercooler today and a exhaust manifold and a wastgate

now what else do i need to get?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 103622
yes those are my post
im not a smart or know it all
that is why i ask for help
all i know is basic stuff

that is why i ask poeple that know more then me(just about every one)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 65424
Piping for your turbo intake side, then piping from comperssor side to intercooler then from intercooler to intake of jeep. Basically look on eBay for like turbo piping for a civic or some import that is a universal kit. You need to get some sort of way of upping the fuel pressure so a FPR and bigger injects will work. Look for a FPR that will raise with the PSI read on the MAP so it will increase per PSI seen. Then all of the oil stuff. Basically look for a friend who has turboed something
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 99513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jth3rd View Post
okay got a intercooler today and a exhaust manifold and a wastgate

now what else do i need to get?
this is not a flame to you ok....

Go read a book like I mentioned in my previous post.

I also covered all the basics you will need to do in my previous post. I don't know it all, but I did read, research, ran numbers and calculations on paper, and talked with others who have done this and have experience.

IF you get the book I mentioned, it will all make sense. All you need to know is basic math and basic algrebra to understand it.

Don't let me get bored and run calcuations on your motor for you and tell you EXACTLY what turbo will work with your motor.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 99513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
Piping for your turbo intake side, then piping from comperssor side to intercooler then from intercooler to intake of jeep. Basically look on eBay for like turbo piping for a civic or some import that is a universal kit. You need to get some sort of way of upping the fuel pressure so a FPR and bigger injects will work. Look for a FPR that will raise with the PSI read on the MAP so it will increase per PSI seen. Then all of the oil stuff. Basically look for a friend who has turboed something
He could probably use just regular exhaust tubing if he keeps it at low boost. They sell those silicone connects for cheap in various angles and sizes.

Mandrel pre-bent tube can work, just trim to fit. thats what im thinkin of using for mine. Make sure to get the 2 bar MAP. that will help the ECU in running the system.

Go read this thread:
/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/614289-400hp-pump-gas-friendly-4-5l-stroker.html

jth3rd, You must do some reading and research. Or like said above, look for a friend who knows what they are doing. Or go pay someone 2 grand to do it for you.
I'll do it for 1 Grand

Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 102908
i did this on yj a little over a year ago. made it real simple junkyard style. started with a .62 t3 from manual turbo coupe (not the shitty ihi), the auto's had a .48. (they all used an internal gate so it was easier due to compactness) which would be good for a quick spool but 2.5 litres is enough to warrant the bigger without lag. ran some injectors i had in the shop that i had took out of a fox body (26lb) to upgrade to 42lb. ran a cheap FMU to regulate fuel pressure and a pump from i cant remember what. ran it through a i/c from the same turbo coupe (kinda small but easy to get up high away from damage). made a 3" down pipe into 2.5" through a spiral core muffler. it would hit 8spi before 3K and spooled very quickly. it made it alot nicer on the trails (he was a hill climber and didnt want the weight of a 4.0), and alot more bearable on the street. i say go for it!!!!

Last edited by keelay; 11-28-2007 at 04:05 PM.
keelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 65424
Yeah I was going to say a T4 size turbo would be prettynice for the 2.5 liters. The holset is pretty big considering they usually use those on 6 liters or so.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
Ummmm my friend Tom is running Holsets on 1.8L Audis... He was running an HY35 and now runs an HX35, surprising how fast it spools... I am planning on a T3/T4 on my 4.0L HO, but none of the specs I have will be relevent to you really...

-Dave

Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 97049
Forced induction

FWIW this is what i would do go to ford injectors like said above, put a one way check valve between the manifold and the MAP sensor thus not allowing the current map you have to see boost, run an FMU or fuel management unit which is boost sensitive and increases fuel psi as boost increases, this is where it gets a little tricky for someone who has never done force induction, the FMU will have different discs inside which give different rates of gain, as far as how many lbs of fuel psi increase for each pound of boost, take your vehicle to a chassis dyno and tune it in from there, with forced induction you want a A/F ratio of about 12.5 to 13.0:1 dial it in to that, you may have to pull some timing out to make it safe. One more thing to think about is with an intercooler you have to have air passing through it to get its efficiency up, and while you may not get the results while wheeling because of lack of speed alot of times, if you have any other questions just pm me. I have done quite a bit with forced induction and can give you some pretty good starting points. You may also have to run an inline booster fuel pump to insure that you dont starve then engine for fuel. Just my .02
brian.riley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 67450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post
I'll do it for 1 Grand
Including parts...?
G33K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 97049
Just a couple more thoughts a good turbo for you to use would be from a 2.3 mustang they had a good little turbo and is sized to yours. You will have to come up with a waste gate but should be easy to do.
brian.riley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 96882
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.riley4 View Post
Just a couple more thoughts a good turbo for you to use would be from a 2.3 mustang they had a good little turbo and is sized to yours. You will have to come up with a waste gate but should be easy to do.
The turbo coupe actually had a wastegate flapper that bolted to the back of the turbo. I have a few of those turbos laying around from Merkurs (??spelling on that???)
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 19031
Send a message via ICQ to gottagofast Send a message via AIM to gottagofast Send a message via Yahoo to gottagofast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post
I'll do it for 1 Grand
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33K View Post
Including parts...?
No shit...... I could line up at least 3 2.5 wranglers for that price!

Everyone keeps mentioning no airflow through the intercooler at trail speeds..... ummmm electric fan.....

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567624"]My build thread[/URL]
Killed the S-10 n2 jeeps now
gottagofast is offline   Reply With Quote