Calipers for a Front D44 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 74609
Send a message via MSN to Rapoza
Calipers for a Front D44

I know that isn't too much hardcore, but I posted it on the "non" and it dont receiver any hit. Hope some of you can give me a hand.

I'm currently building a pair of Dodge w200 axles for my YJ. Hybrid front D44, 35spl D60 rear.

I want to replace the huge calipers at the front, using wilwood parts. In fact I want to make an hybrid front, with spidertrax unit bearings, the calipers they sell and when I make some cash the light D60 knucles.

Meanwhile I must do with the AWD knucles it has, and the caliper mounting points don't mate with any caliper I've been looking at.
The distance between mounting holes in the knucle is 3.74" (95) and the offset to the center of the rotor 1.97" (50)
The wilwood caliper is 5.25" (133,4) and 1.20" (30,5) max respectively.

Any idea?

Another question is that the spider units are 4 bolts, and the knucle is, something, I suppose standard, 6. But I'm some more optimist with this.
I will buy one pair of it and try what can be made with, and if it's impossible to mount it on the D44, I'll adapt them on the rear D60 (also at pending tasks)
Is there anyone that has the dimensions and measurements of this unit bearings? distance between holes, at least. Thanks.

The parts:
http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.1246/.f
http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2628/.f

and the f**** knucle courtesy of Mr.N

What do you think of it all. I'm stuck with this front axle and my current 15" 6on5,5 wheels.

Anyone knows what rotors can I use? This rig is exclusively for trails, but It must be driven to the woods, sometimes 700miles.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
To much of a headach to deal with. Visit PartsMike.com and check out the knuckle kits they offer. Then check the for sale stuff here on the board and get some chevy backing plates and some chevy spindles hel you could even finf the knuckles here. Then take a trip to any auto parts store and buy bearings and seals and chevy rotors (with hub) and calipers and pads, Parts a very cheap. But you need to know what year the spindles are off of, chevy had a bearing size change in 78'. Ive done 3 totally hybrid 44 swaps and this has always worked.
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 77930
I agree, ditch those knuckles. It really doesn't look cost effective to do what you described. The spidertrack unit bearings are just F-450 bearings anyhow and those cost a metric shit ton when compared to wheel bearings. If you're looking for brakes, use Howe dual piston calipers, they bolt onto standard chevy caliper mounts, are dual piston, use chevy d44 rotors, and they're cheap. In my dealings with wilwood, they're VERY pricy, good product, but pricy. If you're throwing this much cash into a 44, I'd honestly suggest either making 609 or a hp60, because by the time your done, you'd spend about enough to build one of those two.
53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 74609
Send a message via MSN to Rapoza
Thanks guys for your help. But...

The problem is that I'm from Spain. I have already checked for this alternative of doing a Chevy splindle swap, and in fact I had a set pre-ordered. But when I order a 300$ 2nd hand shit the shipping costs raises to 780$.
Just imagine to throw all this money and after all realize that they don't fit at all.
I was taking this unit bearing route becouse this is the less-parts-that-can-be-wrong way.

Neither I can buy parts from someone in the sales forum or 2nd hand lists... its an overseas shipping and no-one wants to work a little or rely on me (or me to rely on anyone sending me the parts after I made a fund transfer)

I was in contact with junkyards, but they soon seem to bore and cut the communications (oh, too much work picking the phone for a ups or usps call)

Lukily last week someone in france ended the whole transaction and finally I have a D300 in my garage!

I guessed that having the exact measurements on these bearings, I would be able to see if I can machine the lip con the W200 knucles and do the 4 required holes if the iron permits it.

You must figure it out, when I need brake pads, I must order them to USA and wait 7 days to 1 or 2 months for them to arrive. Its really hardcore!
These axles are the better I could find in spain (had to travel 1500kms personally to pick them) and I'm the envy of all other 4wheelers.

But I'm very thankful boys. Really.

Last edited by Rapoza; 01-27-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Rapoza is offline   Reply With Quote