yj carb fire, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 104399
yj carb fire, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ya so this is what i have! 69-79 csb? going in a 95 yj jeep. i have a manual fuel pump(new), 1405 edelbrock carb(new) HEI(old), and older heads that dont mach the block, supposed to be better, so im told! anyways, i got #1 cylinder to TDC, placed the #1 terminal off the cap to the #1 plug wire, and hooked everything else accordingly! after a few attemps of turning the engine over, a fire started in the carb! ya let me tell you, i wasent ready for that!!! so i figures i would turn the distributor a litlle, and the same result. so i turned it as far as it would go clockwise, and the same thing! so i turned it counter clockwise as far as it would go, and it fired right up, but i could still see gass misting out of the carb??? so i said fuck it i musta mest up TDC somewhere???? so i repeated the same process of TDC, and..............got the same results? so now im stumped? i dunno if its the carb or the timing, also had a freind tell me that the pressure of the fuel pump is ajustable with spacer plates and i might be getting to much pressure to the carb? but that doesent sound right to me? so now im here asking for som advise so i dont burn my house down, thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94747
Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Do you have a timing light? IMO you shouldnt even be messing with timing unless you have a light to do it right. Fireing up in the intake means the spark is firing so far advanced it sparks when the intake valve is still open. Or if its 180 off it can fire when the intake valve is just beginning to open. Get your base timing set before you are trying to start it and it should start up with no fire coming out of the carb. If there is a mist of gas coming !up! out of the carb at any time sounds like a problem to me. What carb do you have?
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Ok so this is not rocket science........

Pull number #1 plug. Put thumb over hole(or someones thumb) rotate engine to find the Compression stroke. Stop pistion at the very top of the stroke.

Rotate distributor to number one pickup.

Don't forget to put the plug and the wire back on.

Get your timing lite set up.

Start Motor.

Adjust timing.

Hye that's how I do it.... Works every time.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..

Last edited by ItsaCJ6; 02-17-2008 at 12:40 PM.
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66677
cook a hotdog
[QUOTE=Rooney77;14997648]We choose not to ignore you because we choose to "cleanse" our beloved PBB of as much ignorance as possible. I'm sure having klansmen in your heritage you can understand the mentality. You are the jew of the PBB. Look in you e-yard, that's our cross burning.[/QUOTE]
HUSSLR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 104399
well i found the cuplrit!!! i had to point the rotor at the #8 piston to adjust the timing out far enouph!!! it still confuses me why though??? i was told the motor might have a proformance cam with some other doodads that need the timing adjusted way out? but it runs well so we'll see!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 108799
The rotor needs to point at the wire going to #1 plug at TDC. It doesn't matter where the wire is on the cap. I know most caps have a #1 on it but disregard. If you don't know this, hire someone who does.
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 104399
yes i know that the rotor must be pointed at the #1 plug terminal at the cap!!! it just wouldnt run when it was, only when it was adjusted counterclockwise as far as possible! so thats why i found TDC again but pointed the rotor at the # 8 cylinder---so i could adjust it out further than previoslly!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 108799
Sorry

You never know who you are talking to. You got the firing order right? 18436572 for chevy I assume thats what you got HEI. What do you know about the motor? I know some marine motors use different cams and they run backwards. Plus some cams change the firing order to I think 18736542. I know how frustrating it can be when you do everthing right and it still doesn't work or worse, it works and you don't know why. Im a pretty good with motors let me know if I can help.
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote