power steering issues - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 102333
power steering issues

Hi,
I have power steering issues my pump/box (on a 4.0 HO in a cj7)seem to be stressing to much to turn my 38 tsl tires it whines and gets hard at times like if it jammed, the other time I think my pump might have overheated because the serpentine belt flew off (didn`t tear up), (steering wheel broke my wrist also), I checked all the pulleys and they are fine, so my guess is the pump might have overheated and jammed. Is there a better pump and box i can buy (some replacement junkyard pump/box not expensive specialty pumps). I`m using the pump and box out of a 1993 grand cherokee engine donor. I have high steer dana 44 with heim joints and locker, installed a cooler also with 3/8 line on the low pressure side.

Thanxs for any help.
daccarettfletez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17751
sounds like a classic case of tires being too big for the steering to handle. You can do a redneck ram on a budget. Search for write ups.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
Drill and tap the box yourself, buy a ram and build some hydro lines. That will take a lot of stress off the pump. Also buy a PS cooler.

The extra fluid will help keep it cooler. Also run a high grade syn. fluid Royal Purple, Red Line ect.

Fordfacist just did this on his GPW with 37" boggers, fixed his boiling over problem, plus he can steer in the rocks now. He's in it for about $250.

"14 Bolt don't give a shit. It takes what it wants."
-Little Sluice Memorial Weekend 2012
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
I bought the Trail Gear 1.5" x 6" x .75" ram with the tie-rod mount. I mounted it to the driver's side spring perch. I tapped the box to 1/4 NPT with -6 JIC fittings. I added a 12" frame-mounted transmission cooler on the output of the steering box to cool the PS fluid. I used about 2 quarts of Amsoil synthetic ATF.

What a difference it made. I can now actually steer the damned thing with the front end locked.

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote