Front D60 TRUSS (4-link + Full Hydro Steering) Suggestions??? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 20092
told you it was cool!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SHC- View Post
I like the Sniper Fab stuff I kinda regret not ordering from them back when I was looking at trusses with PSC ram mounts. It has been a month and a half and still waiting on BTF after they told me they had them instock and ready to ship.
cancel that order and call Don. You will have it shortlt thereafter.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70340
Well.. It´s TRUE! My kit is on the way and seems it will arrive by next Saturday or Monday.

Last edited by Jorge Meza; 05-15-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
Heres my sniperfab D60 truss, definitely top notch, got all the way to southern cali, in 4 or 5 days, plus it was a one stop shop for me with some other brackets i bought..

whos ram is that?? PSC or Station? I like how clean that came out.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 81750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
whos ram is that?? PSC or Station? I like how clean that came out.

not sure, i would guess station
gobigorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 34418
Glad to see everyone is as impressed with Sniper Fabs product as I am! Check out our other suspension kits I have put together for suspensions. I like time savers on design so I figured I'd offer some. As soon as I find a rod end and DOM supplier as timely as Don is with shipping product I will begin offering full kits as well.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 87635
Send a message via AIM to Big91RustyBucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Glad to see everyone is as impressed with Sniper Fabs product as I am! Check out our other suspension kits I have put together for suspensions. I like time savers on design so I figured I'd offer some. As soon as I find a rod end and DOM supplier as timely as Don is with shipping product I will begin offering full kits as well.
Chris My stuff just arrived yesterday , and I am happy with it Glad you took care of me on the shipping since i needed it asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUX X 4 View Post
You've inspired me to start a build thread of my own.......... all the pictures will be upside down to reflect my driving style!
http://www.midwestern4x4.com
89 S10 Truggy
Big91RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70340
Quote:
Jorge,

those shots of the Sniperfab truss are of my jeep.

Don was great to work with and his truss, while very similar to the BTF truss, simply kicks ass. His price is good, his service and delivery time is second to none, and now that he is on this board, I would not waste my time with BTF.

Installation of the truss was easy (it was harder just to remove all the old cobbled crap on m 60F). You have a Ford 60, but the design and installation should be pretty much the same. Just a matter of swapping the mounting points for the diff tie-ins. You get the plate truss, diff cover, link mounts, and various gussets to tie the thing all together. It is VERY BOMBER and works great with the double ended ram.

The ONLY issue I had and it's got nothing to do with Don's truss was mounting the cylinder that I have. My cylinder has to big feet on the bottom where the bolts go in to attach it to it's mounting point. Because of this design I had some challenges getting the cylinder mounted in a position that would keep the tie rod geometry workable, but also prevent the cylinder from hitting the frame under full compression. I ended up wacking the front of the frame off and making a new front frame. I would think that with a different cylinder design one could do a better job of mounting the cylinder. The main plate is bent from 3/8s. Click on the link below for more pics. If you want anything specific as far as pics go, just let me know.

I got my stuff last Monday. Looks good to me. Now.. i received three pairs of 0-degree frame tabs + one pair of axle tabs.

I would like to see how you used those 0 degree frame tabs to connect your triangulated uppers?

Last edited by Jorge Meza; 05-24-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 20092
here is the the passenger side frame upper. It's welded to a plate that is welded to the inside frame rail.

driver's side:

uppers tied the top of the truss. When you weld your on, flip the tabs around so the tapered side points to the front of the jeep. I goofed on this because it's hard to tightened the jam nuts on the heims. I have to removed the bolts and pull the heim out of the bracket to adjust the link because it's impossible to get a wrench in there.

this gives you an idea of the amount of separating at the axle:

Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70340
Thanks for those pix Rock-Road! Now.. isn't it supposed the links to have the heims in a Vertical position instead of horizontal? I'm running 16" travel Coilovers and i'm concerned that the life of the heims will be drastically reduced and the travel of my axle will be limited by using the horizontal frame upper links. Am i wrong?

So... i guess i will be ordering the upper frame brackets properly for a triangulated upper links:

Now... i can't figure out what these two pieces on the kit are used for (see picture below). One seems to be a gusset. Don't know where i should weld it. As for the other.. i don't have a clue what/where it is intended for

Last edited by Jorge Meza; 02-20-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Send a message via AIM to comeonstart
I have my heims mounted sideways like he does, hasnt been an issue for me and they have been beat on alot. I run 18" travel shocks in the front and heims will allow that much travel, but you have to pay attention when you weld that in because it is close to the maximum allowable of the heim.

I have the BTF truss on the front of my Jeep. I didnt like it for the same reason as I dont like the sniper one. I feel that you are almost forced to run the ram too high resulting in a rig that it too tall. I ended up building a box off of the back of the BTF stuff to mount the ram behind the axle. I bought my 60 with the BTF truss already on it, I wouldnt do it again just because of extra work I had to do building around the truss. Here is a pic for comparison.

________
Bubbler pipe

Last edited by comeonstart; 08-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 20092
I did not use the triangular shaped gusset. I couldn't find a place to fit it in there. The square shaped gusset ended up inside the truss. I placed it in there and welded all sides as best I could. It forms a box once it's in there so multiple angles are covered for side loads, ect. Once the outer pieces are welded in place (the front skid and rear gusset) you will see just how strong the truss is.

Don really did a good job designing this piece. The only issue is the difficulty in getting the welder nozzle in there to finish the welds. It's tight!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 85486
Hey Guys..... I had someone call the shop yesterday talking about this thread you guys have going here.....Sure enough, this explains the burning sensation in my ears the last week! By the way, all your rigs look great! You guys need to send us some build and wheeling pics... We would like to add a customers rigs section to our website. So many of you guys have spent a lot of time, money and hard work in building those rigs and we would love to show off all your work! Plus, so many of you have enhanced our products or used them in different way it allows others to get ideas of their own... We like creativity and out of the box thinking! My Dad always said, "Son there is more than one way to skin a squire. My way is just the fastest!!!"

I only had a minute to scan through the thread but I noticed some confusion on where pieces go and the best way of putting the truss together. I guess its not good for me to assume everyone can look at 8+ pieces of raw cut, bent steel and automatically know what I was thinking when I designed it!!! Ha, ha.... So, just a few quick tips that may help someone! First, always dry fit all the pieces the best you can prior to welding anything. Especially the square piece with the oval hole in the center. It has 2 legs on one of the short sides. Those legs are cut just a fraction over sized but are designed to allow quick material removal with a simple grinder so that the truss can be leveled and squared regardless of the condition of the axle. ie, any bent axle tube, etc. The triangulated gusset piece is for support of the ram mount section. There is a lot of lateral force being applied to the truss due to the ram and the triangulated gusset and the square part with oval hole are key parts to the truss systems strength. The triangulated gusset goes directly on the underside of the ram mount to help support the cantilever section on the diff side of the truss. I have attached a couple pics to help with explanation! As for welding, we try to bench weld as much of this truss system as possible. Tack all the pieces together with exception of the front and back covers. Pull the main truss off the axle and bench weld the center support, center gusset(oval hole), triangular gusset, seam on the side. Weld the spring pad piece to the axle tube and casting area if you are comfortable welding to cast. Set the truss back on the axle, make sure its level/square and burn it on good!!! The front and back plates are meant to line up approximately 3/16" from the edge or middle of the 3/8" material allowing a good weld seam.

Well, I hope this helps someone! It could confuse them even more!!!

Anyways, we really appreciate all your comments guys! We appreciate the business you all have shared with us and if you happen to see us out wheeling sometime please come up and introduce yourself to us!!! We would love to meet you all!!!

Keep up the good work and be safe out there playin! Drive fast and take chances!!!
Attached Images

Check out our chassis threads. [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959721"]2 seater[/URL] [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969085"]4 seater[/URL] What can we build for you??
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/sniperfabworks"]Like Us on Facebook[/URL] and follow along with our current projects.. [URL="http://www.facebook.com/sniperfabworks"]http://www.facebook.com/sniperfabworks[/URL]

We don't do PM...so please use email [EMAIL="sales@sniperfab.com"]sales@sniperfab.com[/EMAIL] if you have questions. Thanks
sniperfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 81750
Quote:
I did not use the triangular shaped gusset. I couldn't find a place to fit it in there. The square shaped gusset ended up inside the truss. I placed it in there and welded all sides as best I could. It forms a box once it's in there so multiple angles are covered for side loads, ect. Once the outer pieces are welded in place (the front skid and rear gusset) you will see just how strong the truss is.

Don really did a good job designing this piece. The only issue is the difficulty in getting the welder nozzle in there to finish the welds. It's tight!
x2 the triangular gusset is still in my cabinet
gobigorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote