Recovery Points on an XJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13032
Send a message via AIM to SacTrack
Recovery Points on an XJ

posting this message for a friend. I'm sure you've all heard this question before.. but i looked through the list first and didn't find a threads dealing with this so here goes... We're looking at mounting tow hooks on a '92 Cherokee. The boxed frame is making it kinda difficult to put them exactly where we want. Any ideas on the best place/method to mount both for front and rear?

--
- Erik -
Old 08-05-2002, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Re: Recovery Points on an XJ

Quote:
Originally posted by SacTrack
posting this message for a friend. I'm sure you've all heard this question before.. but i looked through the list first and didn't find a threads dealing with this so here goes... We're looking at mounting tow hooks on a '92 Cherokee. The boxed frame is making it kinda difficult to put them exactly where we want. Any ideas on the best place/method to mount both for front and rear?

--
- Erik -
Wow! He got one of those fancy Cherokees with the frame?!?!?!

That must've cost him extra!

Incidentally, I'd also like to know because my buddy just got a '99 XJ yesterday and as we were looking it over, we were wondering the same thing... Where do the tow hooks go?

(uh, that's on the Unibody, not the boxed-frame model )

Last edited by Jakesteramalamajama; 08-05-2002 at 08:07 AM.
Jakesteramalamajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2002, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
For the front, you *REALLY* need the towhook mounting brackets. Call Custom 4x4 Fabrication or Rustys. There may be others, but I know both of these guys make them. If you want to make them, it's going to be a long plate that goes along the uniframe, with a reinforced bottom plate for the tow hook, and a plate at the front for the bumper.

For the rear, get a hitch receiver. And get the nutstrips from a junkyard. Jeep's rear towhook bolts up where one side of the receiver arms go. This would also be a good time to put a skid plate around the gas tank.

ChiXJeff
ChiXJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiXJeff
For the rear, get a hitch receiver. And get the nutstrips from a junkyard. Jeep's rear towhook bolts up where one side of the receiver arms go. This would also be a good time to put a skid plate around the gas tank.

ChiXJeff
If you have a receiver, why not just use one of those receiver-mounted D-ring affairs? That's what I'd do...
Old 08-05-2002, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5943
Quote:
Originally posted by Jakesteramalamajama
If you have a receiver, why not just use one of those receiver-mounted D-ring affairs? That's what I'd do...
Sorry, I should have been more clear. That is the intent. I wouldn't bother with just a bracket and tow hook. If he's already got a receiver, he's golden, just get a drawbar and shackle.

ChiXJeff
Old 08-05-2002, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13032
that's the problem... he doesn't have a receiver hitch... it's just the stock rear bumper... and actually... I think he's not planning on hanging on to this jeep for very much longer (looking for something better I think) so he doesn't want to sink a much more $$ into it... mostly... we're heading up for some trails this weekend.... and I'm not bringing him along if he doesn't have any recovery points ;-)

--
- Erik -
Old 08-05-2002, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
im not positive but a buddy of mine has a 92 XJ and he used the holes that would normaly be used for a draw tight to mount the factory YJ hooks, the holes are located right behind the rear bumper inside the subframe
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6407
don't laugh but I have actually used the front axle or rear shackle...........I was in a pinch and it was all that was available.

needless to say, after I got hung up on a pole once and ripped the front bumper off getting off I ran to pull n save and found an 89 XJ with one of them purty chrome bumpers w/ bumperetts AND complete tow hook assy...all hardware and BIG hooks.

oh yeah, picked it up for 'bout $15 at the boneyard.

"Did you think this forum served a legitimate socially redeeming function other than mental masturbation?" posted by Bobzooki
MKBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13032
yeah... we did notice holes that would be perfect for mounting on the back end... then we ran into the problem of the boxed frame again, w/no way to get a wrench or even the nut inside the frame w/out cutting a large chunk out of it...

--
- Erik -
Old 08-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5473
Dont bolt tow hooks directly to an XJ "uniframe"...you'll tear it out and possibly kill someone. It's not worth saving a few bucks...

Rear receiver shackles are the strongest. second option is an OEM tow hook bracket, check with a dealer if still available.

You also want the tow hook bracket kit for the front...as mentioned earlier call Rusty or C4x4 as they are stronger and cheaper than OEM parts.
MilspecXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5943
Quote:
Originally posted by SacTrack
yeah... we did notice holes that would be perfect for mounting on the back end... then we ran into the problem of the boxed frame again, w/no way to get a wrench or even the nut inside the frame w/out cutting a large chunk out of it...
What MilspecXJ said...... don't bolt directly to these holes, you REALLY want to spread the load out.

The aftermarket hitch guys will fish plates and nuts in through the uniframe to hold up the hitch. Kind of a PITA, but they can mount a hitch in about 20 minutes.

The better method is to get a set of nutstrips from an XJ with a factory hitch or gas tank skid plate. These are strips of steel that conform to the unibody, and have 4 nuts welded on that match the bolt holes. The only drawback is that the bumper has to come off to get them in place.

Either way, the receiver is the best way to go, and if he's gonna sell it, he should be able to get most of the reciever cost back at the sale.

ChiXJeff