XJ springs on a YJ which ones?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 38568
XJ springs on a YJ which ones??

I'm doing the stretch on my YJ using XJ springs. I have a used set on now but one side is slighty bent and the jeep has a lean to it. I was going to get a new set of springs and use the used set as spares or rob the main leaf and do the military wrap style leaf. I can get new XJ standard duty, medium duty or heavy duty leaf packs. Does one work better or is there a noticable differance. This project is not done yet I've been having to much fun wheeling my new buggy. Decided it was time to rebuild the YJ with some new sheet metal and a stretch. Trying to keep this suspension old school for simplicity.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 120238
are you using a traction bar or anything? Pretty highly recommended for the XJ's. HD"s might minimize wrap a little more, not sure how they would affect flex though
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38568
Quote:
are you using a traction bar or anything? Pretty highly recommended for the XJ's. HD"s might minimize wrap a little more, not sure how they would affect flex though
Yes I have to rebuild the existing bar since I streched it. Without a bar the axle wrap is bad since it's SOA now with 39.5s and HP60s. Everybody talks about using the stock XJ springs but which ones are the stock ones. I would hate to get the HD ones and find them too stiff.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 97519
I've got some stock xj springs in the rear of my YJ. When I called the juck yard, I told them Cherokee leaf spring. I had the same problem, when I put it together, it leaned one side. I called the junk yard and they just delivered me another spring and said keep the old one. I don't know if they are different for 2-door & 4-doors or what. I'm pretty happy with the flex I get out of the stock springs, and I don't want it to sit any higher, so I'm going to leave it the way it is. I figure that even if they don't last long, they're cheap enough to replace if they do fail.
HumboldtNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 118119
I'm using the HD springs on mine. I asked Dan at BTF what to use and he said that they use the HD ones all the time. Mine leans also, but I bought them brand new! Maybe I got a bad one or something?
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
AZ Undertaker

Member # 51580
I run stock XJ springs with a double main leaf on the rig in my sig.
MILLER RACING #26

2012 and 2013 Dirt Riot Modified Trail Class National Champion

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES * LETZROLL OFFROAD
theydontstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21191
I ended up running stock Yota Mini Truck leafs on my old CJ-5 rather than XJ leafs, worked great. The beauty of the Yota leafs vs XJ leafs, is they are the same length from bushing to center pin on the front, but over 3" shorter from center pin to rear bushing which keeps you from having a huge shackle mount hang off the back, and yeah a traction bar is a MUST with either set up. The one thing to keep in mind with the yota's is they are something like 2-5/16" wide vs 2-1/2" XJ leafs...for you non math guys, that means they're just a hair narrower than the XJ leaf....here's a shot of the xj leafs mocked up vs the Yota ones

Yota leafs

Same bumper set up with XJ leafs mocked up

Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 98843
Send a message via AIM to Trex88
must be a yj thing... i bought brand new stock xj springs for mine and it leans too
Trex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Ok, so say you've been collecting XJ spring packs for a CJ build, and now have a stack of 'em. Any way to differentiate std/md/hd?
cj5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
I had HORRIBLE luck using "used" XJ springs. I've had pretty good luck with some new stock replacements and running an older main leaf in "military wrap" mode to support the new stock one. I got my new springs from Teraflex+. I think they are a "Crown" brand. Quite reasonably priced even compared to someone's stock take offs.

I'm running them front/rear (101" wheelbase) and will be adding a traction bar to the front. The rear works really well, but I get wheelhop at times in the front.