Detroit Locker / how much driveshaft turn? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 114794
Detroit Locker / how much driveshaft turn?

Guys, I am in the middle of an expensive overhaul on my '00 TJ and need a bit of help! I run a dana 35 with the super 35 kit and the full detroit locker. I have what seems to be an excessive amount of rotation in my rear driveshaft. I just had the rear rebuilt due to having a bad wear pattern happening from a previous bad install. So, I am looking for anyone who has a full detroit and a similar set up to chime in and let me know what they have rotation wise on there set up. I have heard 1/4 turn in some cases, hardly any in others. I have not experienced any issues with the locker not working correctly while driving on the street or krawling. Just the infamous pop now and again. I have a link to what it looked like prior to being rebuilt the 1 st time. This video was awhile back but still looks the same as far as rotation goes. I confronted the shop after it was done and actually got under another stock TJ and it had about the same amount of play. Not saying much since it was ragged but none the less. I have asked a few on my other forum about there set ups and most have lsd rears and not much play at all. Here is the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznSegXqZ8Q It still has the same amount of play as the video. ANY help would be great as I do not want to have to rebuild this thing again! Thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33026
1/4 to 1/3 of a turn is what I was used to with my detroit. Made a hell of a clunk in parking lots going from reverse to 1st gear, I've been asked on more than one occasion if the jeep was broken.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62686
Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler00 View Post
Guys, I am in the middle of an expensive overhaul on my '00 TJ and need a bit of help! I run a dana 35 with the super 35 kit and the full detroit locker. I have what seems to be an excessive amount of rotation in my rear driveshaft. I just had the rear rebuilt due to having a bad wear pattern happening from a previous bad install. So, I am looking for anyone who has a full detroit and a similar set up to chime in and let me know what they have rotation wise on there set up. I have heard 1/4 turn in some cases, hardly any in others. I have not experienced any issues with the locker not working correctly while driving on the street or krawling. Just the infamous pop now and again. I have a link to what it looked like prior to being rebuilt the 1 st time. This video was awhile back but still looks the same as far as rotation goes. I confronted the shop after it was done and actually got under another stock TJ and it had about the same amount of play. Not saying much since it was ragged but none the less. I have asked a few on my other forum about there set ups and most have lsd rears and not much play at all. Here is the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznSegXqZ8Q It still has the same amount of play as the video. ANY help would be great as I do not want to have to rebuild this thing again! Thanks guys!
If you want to "check" the setup on the gears you are going to have to have a good "touch." There really is not too much excessive movement in relation to a full detroit. You cannot tell if the detroit is locked or unlocked nor can you really control when it locks or unlocks even under throttle so you cannot control the amount of movement and therefore you cannot check it.

That being said, and I am SURE someone will say something about this, but if you are worried about the gears and do not want to check the pattern the proper way you need to get under the Jeep. Simply speaking you want to rotate your DS by hand until you feel the SLIGHTEST catch and that will be your backlash. If you have excessive movement before you feel this, THEN you should start digging deeper into the gears.

If you do not mind popping the cover, you can easily check the current pattern by both looking at the wear marks on the ring and putting a dial on and checking the backlash. If you want to go further, pick up some gear marking compound and check it that way as well.

Off topic, but where in Winder do you live? I grew up in Auburn and until a few years ago was living off of 82 between Winder and Statham.

Last edited by FrkyMnky1487; 12-09-2008 at 11:06 PM.
FrkyMnky1487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 114794
Thanks guys. Looking for more chime ins on this as I want to see what you guys that have the similar setup think. As for Winder, I live near the high school in town. Thanks guys, and keep the info coming!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20092
Not the same axle but I have about 1/2 turn on my front 60 and about 1/3 turn on my rear 14bolt.

check the pattern and backlash first. If it's in spec, then the play in from the detroit (which is normal) and a little also comes from the splines as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42809
its normal. I get a lot of guys wanting to try to warranty detroits for this, but thats just the way some of them are.

[QUOTE=robbybobby;9644636]duh bro- momentium.....i have my own special technique- haul Mother F-ng balls at the hill till i am standing alone at the gawd danged top.....[/QUOTE]
muddy_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26465
When I had my TJ with a super 35 detroit it had at least 1/3 turn. Made a hell of a thunk getting on and off the gas but I beat the shit out of it that way for a long time with no ill effects.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
BB1

Member # 85234
I have a Dana 44 rear with a Detroit and it has about 1/3 play in it to.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 97519
Did you get the manual with your Detroit? If not here it is
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128312.pdf

Check out page 4:
Quote:
Backlash or slack between the driving and driven clutch teeth is an inherent part of the NoSPIN and necessary to permit
automatic operation when driving in forward and reverse. The total backlash in the driveline is increased by the amount of the
reduction between the ring gear and pinion. If the ring gear-pinion ratio is 5 to 1, the total backlash in the driveline with the
NoSPIN would be about 30. This in turn is increased by clearances between planetary gear, sliding splines and the ring and
pinion gear. We feel that the total driveline slack can amount to as much as 1/4th turn of the driveline without being abnormal,
but if it exceeds 1/4 turn, other parts in the drivetrain could be checked. Further clarification of operational and performance
characteristics is available through Technical Bulletin No. 81 -1044. A copy is available by writing to our Marketing Dept.
HumboldtNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 111714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
I have a Dana 44 rear with a Detroit and it has about 1/3 play in it to.
Same here. First to reverse, or the opposite, can be kinda loud, but thats the trade off for having a full time locker.
Tyler C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 114794
This is what I was wanting to hear! If anyone else has comments please post up. I should have it out of the shop this week from some other repairs and will for sure pull the cover and check the RP and backlash just for kicks. Thanks all!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 115438
Yea. The locker lash is common. I have one in a 8.8 and also in front and rear 60's and they all have quite a bit of lash.
Fischer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.