Frame build tube or square - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70202
Posts: 148
Frame build tube or square

I now frame builiding has been covered alot but what are the votes for tube or just square. If I go with tube I was thinking about 1.5" 1/8 thick and have two rails with short notch pieces in between; and of course if go with square thinking about 2x4 3/16 or 1/4.
jesuscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member # 11570
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuscowboy View Post
I now frame builiding has been covered alot but what are the votes for tube or just square. If I go with tube I was thinking about 1.5" 1/8 thick and have two rails with short notch pieces in between; and of course if go with square thinking about 2x4 3/16 or 1/4.
Perhaps you ought to state what this is for, what type of suspension, how much stock equipment, etc, you are trying to mount to this frame.
__________________
Swamp Stompers 4x4 Club
Haggar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
zachv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 8108
Location: SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, PA
Posts: 4,425
I say use 2x5" 3/8" wall. That will be light.
__________________
AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
570-385-3931--shop
570-385-3932--fax

MADE IN AMERICA---and proud of it!!!


We also offer the best service and prices available on:
Advance Adapters
Clayton Offroad Suspension
Raceline beadlocks wheels
ORI struts and Radflo shocks
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Grauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 121348
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 49
Just don't do what DECO did...

But seriously, depending on what you want to do with it makes a big difference. If you want to do a buggy you could do all tube, or you could do a square subframe with tube. If your just rebuilding a jeep frame, I'd say 2x4 or 2.5x4 and do 3/16th wall, 1/4 wall is just overkill in my opinion unless you plan on dropping it off a very tall cliff...
__________________
87 YJ sittin on locked tons and 40 iroks
06 TJ rubi

Last edited by Grauss; 01-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Grauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member # 107843
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 130
Send a message via MSN to Bump&Grind
ah booty fab how I missed thee. Tubing is easier to work with, mitre cuts and such but tubing looks so much cleaner.
Bump&Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
charlieboyd65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member # 31211
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauss View Post
Just don't do what DECO did...

But seriously, depending on what you want to do with it makes a big difference. If you want to do a buggy you could do all tube, or you could do a square subframe with tube. If your just rebuilding a jeep frame, I'd say 2x4 or 2.5x4 and do 3/16th wall, 1/4 wall is just overkill in my opinion unless you plan on dropping it off a very tall cliff...
At least Deco built his own junk (which doesn't seem to have fallen apart yet). Gauss, tell us all about your build on your YJ and Rubi...

Maybe you should lay off trashing others that actually build their own stuff, when you are merely enjoying the fruit of someone else's labor on your daddy's dime (ie. buy an already built rig, but don't fabricate shiat).

Nothing wrong with buying a built rig, but don't talk smack about someone else learning to fabricate and working on their own project, when you are too afraid to fire up the welder and grinder.

You were trashing him on his build thread, like a little punk and doing the same here. You have 0 room to talk. Put up or shut up!

Sure, Deco has some things to learn with fabricating (and grammar), but you also have a few things to learn about life.
__________________
79 CJ-5, D44/9", 4 link F&R, 37's...and such.
Disclaimer: My useless ramblings should in no way be taken as fact, and I will not be held liable for any carnage inflicted because of said ramblings.
charlieboyd65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Member # 105299
Location: Nova Scotia,Canada
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
At least Deco built his own junk (which doesn't seem to have fallen apart yet). Gauss, tell us all about your build on your YJ and Rubi...

Maybe you should lay off trashing others that actually build their own stuff, when you are merely enjoying the fruit of someone else's labor on your daddy's dime (ie. buy an already built rig, but don't fabricate shiat).

Nothing wrong with buying a built rig, but don't talk smack about someone else learning to fabricate and working on their own project, when you are too afraid to fire up the welder and grinder.

You were trashing him on his build thread, like a little punk and doing the same here. You have 0 room to talk. Put up or shut up!

Sure, Deco has some things to learn with fabricating (and grammar), but you also have a few things to learn about life.



We all have to start somewhere, you just don't roll out of bed and start fabricating sick tube buggies, I say build it safe, and limit it to what your funds, skills and life can allow.

Edit: I guess I should post this in the other thread, but I have seen this jeep work and it does just fine for what it is built for. It is 100% DECO's and his old man doesn't drive it but, he gets enjoyment out of seeing his son drive and for some people that's more fulfilling than anything....
__________________
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Last edited by big giant head; 01-06-2009 at 01:36 PM.
big giant head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 119189
Location: Alaska and Utah
Posts: 344
I would use a combination of round and square, it gives you the best of both worlds!
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 72053
Posts: 25
Tube is tube whether its round square or rectangle. My advice based on the wording of your question is to hire an experienced chassis fabricator and forget about wasting any steel and electricity.
56Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
BnTMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 197
Location: Paradise,CA
Posts: 2,934
I have built 3 now and all this way... stacked, strapped and plated... 3/16 2*4 and there is a 4degree kick to to match a cj-7 frame via pie slice and fold then weld and plate. the 4 degree kicks are in the sub frame only the front and rear rails are straight box tube

mike
__________________
LADD Racing #82 NCRR soon to be in U4 in a 4500 car
Mike Ladd and co dawg Perry Hemre
Crew Chief Jim Wright, Assistant Raymond Wright
Club Jackass Wheelers
TTC 1999

Last edited by BnTMike; 01-08-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: your mom
BnTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.