gas tank safety - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2002, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9363
gas tank safety

i have noticed how a lot of people move their gas tanks half in and half out of the bed of the jeep. but instead of cutting a huge hole in the floor i just put the whole tank back there. i am in the process of building a box around it right now, but this weekend i was with a few other guys and they said it was unsafe and that i should have a fuel cell. i just want to know what the difference is between a fuel cell and a gas tank, and how i could make this safe, if it is not. and yes i searched, but i didnt find anything about safety.
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12393
I want to know too. I was planning on building a stainless steel flat tank for the bed with a sump for the fuel pump. I want to c move the rear axle back. If I vent the tank, put baffles in it and pressure test it, what's wrong with it. It can't be worse that the fuel cells without a steel or aluminum box, can it?

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2002, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
cmk

Member # 987
There are different types of "fuel cells." Some are no different than a stock tank ... just blow molded poly tanks. IMO, there is no safety difference between those and a stock tank. And those blow molded poly tanks are what 75% of the dudes out there use.

The other 25% of the dudes are running some sort of bubba' fabbed metal tank (steel, stainless, aluminum). This is probably safer than a poly tank BUT only if an extremely competent welder does the work. I shouldn't have to explain why you don't want some novice welder messing around with a gas tank.

If you really want safety, then you're talking "safety fuel cells." This is the kind of stuff that racecars use ... steel outer shells with a puncture resistant bladder inside. These are the ultimate in safety, but they are also the ultimate in price. That's why most guys don't bother.

Run the stock tank in the bed, just make sure that it's secure and that nothing can puncture it.

cmk
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9363
i kinda figured it was ok. i am gonna build a box around it so it will not get puctured. i just wasnt sure.
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3916
wouldn't you have a better chance of puncturing the tank under your Jeep rather than in it? knives from the camping gear maybe?

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444"]The Build[/URL]
P&T Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
cmk

Member # 987
Quote:
Originally posted by P&T jeeps
wouldn't you have a better chance of puncturing the tank under your Jeep rather than in it? knives from the camping gear maybe?
My buddy was trail leading a group in which a dude managed to puncture his head with an axe that he hadn't tied down. If it punctured his thick head, I'm sure it would have punctured a plastic gas tank sitting in the bed.

It took 17 stitches to close him up and a size 11 boot to the head to kick it off the axe.

cmk
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3916
well... that answers that!

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274444"]The Build[/URL]
P&T Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11598
ouch. *cringe*
Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4635
Send a message via ICQ to pokey
Re: gas tank safety

Quote:
Originally posted by Vu14TJ
i have noticed how a lot of people move their gas tanks half in and half out of the bed of the jeep. but instead of cutting a huge hole in the floor i just put the whole tank back there. i am in the process of building a box around it right now, but this weekend i was with a few other guys and they said it was unsafe and that i should have a fuel cell. i just want to know what the difference is between a fuel cell and a gas tank, and how i could make this safe, if it is not. and yes i searched, but i didnt find anything about safety.
I wouldn't run a stock tank in the bed period! The cell's have baffles in them to stop the fuel from sloshing around and shifting the weight in the rig. They allso have foam stuffed between the baffles to stop the mass from shifting to fast. Theres a lot of weight in a tank. 3/4 of the way filled and it could easiley help you right on over onto your side. If I were you I'd put a safe tank in there if your going to run it in the bed. And if for some reason it did get a hole in it, where do you think the fuel is going to end up? I think you should give this some serious thought. Ask some people that know WTF before you do it if you value your life. Get a good Aluminum professionally welded tank.

Bud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.