Pirate 4x4 banner

Overheating and Hot! HELP!

779 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pmaddy 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I am new to your list and I have heard that this is the hard core list of the the jeep world. I also know how hard you guys can be on a new user. But, I am willing to risk the shit you will give me for being new just to get some help with my problem. My XJ runs hot! I have completely changed the closed system on an 89 with a 3 core GDI, changed the entire cooling system to the 92+ open system. pump, thermo housing, hoses, fan clutch, everything cooling related. I have checked compression. I HAVE NOT, put a toggle switch on the electric fan. Changed the electric fan out for a newer 92+ fan. (I heard it pulls more air). Tried any high flow stuff like thermo housing or pump.

If I install a trans cooler, will that pull enough away from the rad to make a difference?

It only happens on those hot days at low rpms. Please help the new guy out....Thanks in advance. And please be gentle...this is my first time.....Thanks!

#2 ·
Could be running real lean. - Check the plugs for a white look.

Could have a stuck thermostat - Take it out or thown in a lower temperature model and see what happens.

Could have a bad clutch fan? - Heat up the engine, turn it off, see if the fan spins freely on the shaft or has some resistance. It should have some resistance when hot.

Make sure you have a good shroud to channel the suction of the fan.

Head gasket???

Just my first thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.