Pirate 4x4 banner

engine tilt?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  4Bangler 
#1 ·
I did a search, found out what I need to know about my slave cyl, but have another question. I put the V8 in today, I have it tilted back about 5 degrees towards the rear to line up with my driveline angles and such. I will be running a carb.
This ok? I have heard it should be level.

Also can anyone tell me where to get the spring clip that goes inside a cast GM clutch fork and holds it onto the pivot ball?
Suddenly can't get them around here. Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks!

David

#2 ·
dmoulton said:
I did a search, found out what I need to know about my slave cyl, but have another question. I put the V8 in today, I have it tilted back about 5 degrees towards the rear to line up with my driveline angles and such. I will be running a carb.
This ok? I have heard it should be level.

Also can anyone tell me where to get the spring clip that goes inside a cast GM clutch fork and holds it onto the pivot ball?
Suddenly can't get them around here. Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks!

David
It should be level, but will probably work. Just remember tho' when you straighten the rear drivelivne, you worsen the front driveline angle.

#5 ·
dmoulton said:
Thanks JeepinIan, front angles should be ok as I have tilted my front axle pinion up a little more then it's last configuration. Of course then the castor angle gets worse.................................. :-(

David
Yeah but what abouut the angle at the t-case?

#8 ·
I have a 304 with stock motor mounts and about a 4 inch spacer between the tranny cross member and the frame; so needless to say the motor sits tilted back more than I would like but it really hasn't been a big deal. It all depends on how your carb likes angles. Obviously on steep climbs the carb is sitting even steeper than the vehicle so it will stumble a bit sooner than if the engine was flat but I think a few degrees is hard to notice a difference. I wouldn't worry about it just adjust your floats accordingly.

#11 ·
The clip if you are using the old style cast bellhousing is a dealer item. The last time I got mine I bought several.
Odee, I have looked at the parts book at a local dealer, I can find the right part but when they order it I keep getting something else. Getting a little frustrating. They say the # has been superceded several times, and the new flat plate type thingie should work, but it's not even close.
I don't suppose you have the part #? Or would like to sell one?

The kicker is I know you have to be able to get them here, just can't find the right parts person to get the job done :(

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it!

David

#12 ·
I seem to recall seeing angled carb spacers in Summit, most engines sit back a few degrees from the factory, and most intakes have a little angle built into them, if it becomes a problem, look for an angled spacer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.