Pirate 4x4 banner

Steering Upgrade for SUA YJ's

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jakesteramalamajama 
#1 ·
I think this looks pretty good and since I will be staying SUA and going to 35's soon I thought beafing the steering system would be a good idea.

Heres the link:
http://www.performanceunlimited.com/steering/steeringoption.html

My comments:

-will a drop pitman be in the way once the TR is moved above the steering arm under suspension compression? If I recall correctly, the TR come very close to the Drop Pitman as it is now.

-If indeed this kit demands a stockpitman arm I think the added length of the drag link and the amount it is raised should in effect yield similar bump-steer characteristics.

-I heard a cherokee or grand cherokee pitman is half way between a full drop and stock pitman. maybe this is the way to go for this kit.

See less See more
#5 ·
This is the same as a stock Waggy setup (knuckle-over).

To put it another way, if you swap in a Waggy front end and keep the tie rod and drag link you get the same thing, sans heim joints.

I run this on my YJ (SUA, Waggy tie rod and draglink)
And yes, if you have a drop pitman, you do get some contact when the driver's side of the axle is under compression. I have around 5 inches of lift in the suspension and the contact isn't too bad, just scratches a little paint off the tie rod. A smaller lift, and you're gonna need a regular pitman arm tho.

HTH,
Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.